TV/Aerial wires - is there any covers for outside for them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reason i ask is that we live in a row of terraces and every couple of months we get them ripped from the wall by drunks coming home late at night causing damage etc.
I know you can get plastic coating to hide wires indoors but is there anything for outside? If so what should i ask for?
thanks nutty :oops:

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
trunking, you can get it at most diy stores

Breezer, mini-trunking is not UV stabilised so would turn yellow in time and slowly start to break-down, the same with other forms of plastic for internal use...unfortunately. It's a shame that this is the case as MMT1 would be ideal for this purpose.

The best stuff for this would be galvanised metal capping, and paint it to match the brick work, or other surface, before fixing to the wall. This will last the life of the house then and will not end up looking tatty in a few years time.

i agree, but this is a diy forum, and the trunking could always be painted at time of installation, people usualy want a quick Cheap fix

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
i agree, but this is a diy forum, and the trunking could always be painted at time of installation, people usualy want a quick Cheap fix

Good Point..I think I sometime forget that :)

Plan B - take the downlead inside through the wall/roof where the dish/aerial is mounted, and then run it internally to where you need it.

I agree inside is the way.

I lived in an end terrace where they nicked everything that wasn't bolted down and when that had gone, they went for everything that was!!

We got sky in 1991, and some t*at even nicked our sat dish off the roof one night!

Copper said don't bother trying to make it harder cos the kids (it was always kids) see it as a challenge if you try and make it more difficult.

So what do we do?, I asked the fuzz. Out of sight, out of mind, he replied.

securespark said:
We got sky in 1991, and some t*at even nicked our sat dish off the roof one night!

Copper said don't bother trying to make it harder cos the kids (it was always kids) see it as a challenge if you try and make it more difficult.

So what do we do?, I asked the fuzz. Out of sight, out of mind, he replied.

The alternative for a satellite dish is what I did after mine was nicked last year. My place is in the middle of nowhere so a tempting target when unoccupied.

When the Sky fella arrived to fix it, I took the bracket off him, drilled some oversizede fixing holes then used Hilti Chemical Anchor to fix four M12 rods into the wall. When it had set I put the bracket up and then used four stainless steel sheer nuts on the rod, any other bolt on the dish now also has the appropriate size sheer nut or bolt on it.

So far so good..despite a couple of attempts :D

it tickles me as to why some one would want to nick the dish. its no use without decoder box, unless they have a large knife and fork to go with the dish................nah, perhaps not

FWL_Engineer said:
drilled some oversizede fixing holes then used Hilti Chemical Anchor to fix four M12 rods into the wall.
Is this the small foil sachets? Any Good? Expensive?

SC1.jpg

This may be an easier alternative to trunking, bit more protection aswell.

Steel Capping also available from most DIY shops ;)

Just re-read....as FWL mentioned

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back