TV Aerial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a roof top aerial, and the lead is just hanging from the aerial and waving about until it enters into the house. Like everything else in this recently purchased house, it looks as if needs replacing.
Would it be better to replace like with like or a new aerial just under the roof on the back wall?
And what should I be looking at paying for it, supply and fit?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi - its much easier for anyone to fit a tv aerial to the facia or wall of the house, rather than climbing on the roof. However, some things to have a look at.
Check out the direction that the aerials are pointing on other properties nearby.....can you site your aerial so that it can point in the same direction?
If you live in a high quality reception area, it may be possible to site the aerial in the loft space. If you are in a low reception area, you may well need a 'fringe area' aerial, which is just like the other types but longer.
Aerial connections are really simple - a special coax wire is used, which has a central conductor wire (solid) and its sheathed in a copper braid called a screen with an insulator beneath. The central conductor is held under a screw, with the screen braid under a clamp.
Connection to the tv coax plug is equally simple and generally there's no need to solder.
If you get a new roof aerial, don't let the installer penetrate the roof felt and tuck the cable under a slate - have it led down the roof, tacked to any woodwork if possible, and led into the house by a drilled hole, or maybe through a window frame.
Aerials aren't expensive - between £10 and £30 depending on the type - but as for fitting charge....who knows? I don't thing you'll get ripped off with this job as there are lots of people offering this service.
Hope this helps! Cheers John :)

if you can get by with a loft one, it will be much easier to fit, and will last for years and years and years without going wrong or falling off.

get one that will suit digital transmissions though

in my area I get a good digital signal from the old loft aerial, although it is a bit weak on analogue and analogue ch5 is useless (I am close to the South Downs).

If I were you I would just have a few cleats put on the old co-ax rather than spending money having a new rooftop one fitted. If a loft aerial works for you, you can fit it yourself very easily (get a good big one if you think the reception area is poor) at very modest cost. then you can just remove the rooftop one when it blows down.

A set-top digital decoder can cost less than £30 and next time you buy a TV it will be built-in.

Sponsored Links
Why does it need replacing?

Is the picture quality poor?

If not then just get some nylon tie straps just to secure the lead to stop it from blowing about or re-route the lead for a better installation!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back