TV audio/volume

I have the same problem with some channels, productions - especially when there is 'background music' which isn't in the background, but swamps the speech. I think some sound mixers, are automatic (AVC), so no sound mixer employed. I was watching (trying to follow) a docu on Smithsonian, the background music was OK, but the commentary level would just keep dipping down to a whisper, swamped by the low level music. Does no one in the production studio watch there own output, is no one noticing these defects?

Exactly, that's the AVC (not) working.

The BBC is currently waging a campaign to destroy anything traditional or conventional. One part of this campaign is to remove, debase or mock any content that contains classically or properly trained acting, on the grounds that it is elitist to excel at anything. This is why BBC "actors" now mumble their lines, as it is the opposite of what they should do.

If that sounds stupid it's because it is! The only TV setting required for the BBC is "OFF".
Or they're being authentic. If the local mode of speech in a drama is a low mumble only the locals can understand, they copy it....

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ot they're being authentic. If the local mode of speech in a drama is a low mumble only the locals can understand, they copy it....

At one time the BBC strove to raise standards, with such things as received pronunciation; now they are dumbing down. All TV is now low-brow and aimed at idiots.

Sponsored Links
I have the same problem with some channels, productions - especially when there is 'background music' which isn't in the background, but swamps the speech. I think some sound mixers, are automatic (AVC), so no sound mixer employed. I was watching (trying to follow) a docu on Smithsonian, the background music was OK, but the commentary level would just keep dipping down to a whisper, swamped by the low level music. Does no one in the production studio watch there own output, is no one noticing these defects?
Thanks for the replies all, some interesting stuff around the technical side.

I don't have a surround system but do have separate speakers with a subwoofer. Without repeating my entire opening post, I know my setup produces decent enough sound as I can hear speech perfectly well on most things. I just about fell off my sofa the other night when watching a movie that I didn't have to put subtitles on for!

Yeah, re BIB, I get that during production/post production these guys will be using super-duper equipment. However, if they know the finished product will eventually be destined for millions of TV sets across the world, they could surely test their output in two or three common environments using standard TVs, granted they can't plan for every scenario. Even with movies, surely more and more consumer views are now at home as oppose to the cinema?

And putting movies aside, there's less excuses for those that produce for TV. I know little about sound, levels and mixing etc, but the priority often seems to be wrong e.g. you hear music and effects more clearly than actors speaking, that can't be right. I've come to the conclusion it's either very young producers/sound mixers that do prioritise other things over speech, and/or as others have touched on, they're simply pretty pants at their job.

I've also noticed on some programmes the background noise - i.e. street scenes - is louder than the speech.

Even if that were the case in real life, it surely is crap for television.

I've also noticed on some programmes the background noise - i.e. street scenes - is louder than the speech.

And the Background Street noise always has to incorporate the obligatory Emergency service, Sirens, Two tone horns etc .

The priority ought to be - to be able to easily follow the dialogue. If you cannot follow the dialogue, then it is entirely wasted. It used to be the case, that if an outdoor noisy scene were too noisy, the would add the dialogue in post production. Now they just do not seem to care.

try reducing the base by perhaps 30% and increase the treble by 30% and take it from there
I get what you're saying but I refuse to do that. Change it for one prog, then maybe have to change back for the next, so on and so on ...

Not that I do, but I can put a 1950's golden oldie movie on and hear every word as clear as day.

Put on a 2021 blockbuster where they surely have access to all the best visual and audio tech ... mumble mumble mumble (eh? what's that you're saying??) subtitles on.

ok is you main purpose to sort the problem to find a happy average you can live with
or to have a general moan about the annoying increase in volume with adverts :D:D[that i agree happens]

Last edited:
Put on a 2021 blockbuster where they surely have access to all the best visual and audio tech ... mumble mumble mumble (eh? what's that you're saying??) subtitles on.

I watched a really weird but intriguing Korean series on Netflix the other day - I thought it was a normal film, or I would not have bothered, but it turned out to be quite clever. The sound was dubbed in, in English but you could hear every word that was spoken throughout. Worst is when you decide to watch something in the small hours and want the volume low, so as not to disturb anyone else, as I sometimes do - and the volume level is all over the shop.

ok is you main purpose to sort the problem to find a happy average you can live with
or to have a general moan about the annoying increase in volume with adverts :D:D[that i agree happens]
lol, probably the latter.

I get that I could probably mitigate things by either changing my tv sound system and/or adjusting settings, however tbh I'm not prepared to do that. Partly because I'd be changing settings x times a day and I can be ar5ed doing that, would sooner just slap the subtitles on when they're available (not all channels.) Without repeating my entire opening post, something's not right somewhere in the production process when some types of progs are generally fine, but certain dramas and movies aren't.

And tbh, I feel in 2021 this shouldn't be an issue for me as an end user. I get that movies and tv progs are produced in various ways no doubt using various sound capturing and production techniques, however when it comes to me viewing and listening to the end product, the speech should be clear enough for me not to reach for the subtitles button :) assuming the sound system in use at home is at least half decent.

I watched a really weird but intriguing Korean series on Netflix the other day - I thought it was a normal film, or I would not have bothered, but it turned out to be quite clever. The sound was dubbed in, in English but you could hear every word that was spoken throughout. Worst is when you decide to watch something in the small hours and want the volume low, so as not to disturb anyone else, as I sometimes do - and the volume level is all over the shop.
This is one of the few benefits of living alone in a detached property :)

Sponsored Links
Back