TV extension using HDMI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Sky HD box plugged into an amplifier. Can I split the output from the amplifier using a splitter then take that feed upstairs to feed two other tv's?

Sponsored Links
What sort of amplifier?

It's certainly possible to buy an HDMI splitter but make sure it has its own power supply because a Sky Digibox can't power it.

A few things to bear in mind. ...

Use decent HDMI cable for long runs, especially if you're putting it in-wall. £10 or £20 more for something thick with (you hope) decent internal shielding that's going to keep working is a heck of a lot cheaper than ripping open the walls to replace a failed cable.

Consider active HDMI cable which has built-in HDMI repeaters to restore signal integrity after a long run, or add-on repeaters.

Remember that the Sky box can only output at one resolution for the entire system. 1080i is pretty universal. But if one of the bedroom sets is low resolution and decides to be difficult and says it wants it wants a signal at say 720p then that sets the resolution for the rest of the system. This used to be a bigger problem when mix n' matching older small LCD TVs with the latest 1080p sets. It's less of a problem now that a lot of TVs are 1080p native. If you have one older lower resolution TV it will be cheaper in the long run to update that than try to throw technology at the problem to force the Sky box to output 1080i.

If you want to watch Blu-rays at 1080p or 1080p 3D then you'll find that it's impossible unless all the rest of the TVs are 1080p 3D capable too, or you wire the system differently. Split the Sky HDMI out just after the box and use one leg to feed the amp (AV receiver?). This will allow the receiver to isolate Sky from Blu-ray and the other sources.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back