tv-multi region dvd combo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

Not so much a technical question, but wondered if such a thing as a tv with built-in multi region dvd player exists.

Have tried googling, but can't find what I'm looking for. If such a thing includes vcr and freeview, even better.

The tv screen needs to be a typical bedroom size screen. Around 15 inch I suppose...?

Anyone know of such an item?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Be sensible. You won't find a combi with a built in VCR. There's no room in the chassis of a typical small LCD/LED TV install a VCR mechanism. That ship sailed with the last of the CRT TV combis about 5 years ago.

There's plenty of multiregion TV DVD combis around though. They're usually the anonymous Chinese/Turkish brands. Amazon offers you this. Google is your friend :)

Ok. Thanks.

Out of interest, I have heard on more than one occasion a region 4 (Australia) dvd can play on a regular region 2 (UK) player.

How true is this?

The UK and Australia both use PAL, and when there's a common thread like this then the discs can be mastered to be Region 2 & 4 compatible. But, the disc does have to be mastered that way. Just being R4 doesn't make it automatically R" compatible as well.

If you're not going to to go for a multi-region combi then your first port of call is to Google those sites that give region compatibility info on the various titles.

Sponsored Links
So you're saying my one particular region 4 dvd (which hasn't arrived yet) MAY work on a regular region 2 player?

If it does work on a region 2 player, does that mean it work on any region 2 player?

No. A hack removes whatever region setting a particular dvd player has as default. It then becomes a region free player and will play any disc. But you would have to find a hack for each dvd player.

An alternative is to rip the dvd to a pc and re-encode/burn it as region free. It's not as complicated as it sounds, but you can lose a bit of quality in the process.

So you're saying my one particular region 4 dvd (which hasn't arrived yet) MAY work on a regular region 2 player?

If it does work on a region 2 player, does that mean it work on any region 2 player?
Yeah. I thought it was pretty straightforward to understand...

If the disc is mastered to play on Region 4 AND Region 2 players then it will play on your standard R2 player

If the disc is NOTmastered to play on Region 4 AND Region 2 players then it will only play on an R4 Australian player

If your player is multi-region then none of this matters

Google Google Google Google Google

Google for the list of regional compatibilities for that disc

Google Google Google Google Google

A tad unfair Chris!

(And maybe you'd like to explain the difference between 'multi-region' and 'region free'...?)

Rrrrright... thanks...

I should explain I own a multi region (or is it region free?) dvd player.

The region 4 disc is a rare one that is going to be a Christmas present. The people who the present is for don't have a multi region player.

But they have expressed an interest in a combined tv and dvd player for the bedroom. Trying to give two good presents.

A tad unfair Chris!

(And maybe you'd like to explain the difference between 'multi-region' and 'region free'...?)
[SIGH] I tell you what, why don't you do all that seeing as you think I'm doing a bad job

Rrrrright... thanks...

I should explain I own a multi region (or is it region free?) dvd player.

The region 4 disc is a rare one that is going to be a Christmas present. The people who the present is for don't have a multi region player.

But they have expressed an interest in a combined tv and dvd player for the bedroom. Trying to give two good presents.
As Chris says there are multi regional TV/DVD combis available...

'Multi Regional' usually means paying a bit more, whereas 'Region free' is a term used for a hacked device - which is not btw illegal !

A tad unfair Chris!

[SIGH] I tell you what, why don't you do all that seeing as you think I'm doing a bad job
Hey, you know your stuff alright..

I just happen to think that your patronising answer needs to be commented on, since the OP might not have thought your reply that 'straightforward to understand', and one 'google reference' from you would surely have sufficed!

I have also been accused of giving "patronising" answers. It's amazing how quickly I lose interest and stop trying to help when that happens.

I don't want to sound thick, but I just wanted to double-check a few things.

Google is ok, but there's nothing like talking to someone.

I don't want to sound thick, but I just wanted to double-check a few things.

Google is ok, but there's nothing like talking to someone.
Quite right - I think that too...

I like the saying that "there are no thick people, just people who need help occasionally"

It's a shame that some here seem to think that their apparent knowledge allows them to ignore that!

If they want to 'lose interest', then that is their loss!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back