tv off in storm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi my friends wharfdale 42inch tv went off in a storm and will not come back on and only the red light comes on. batteries were also changed in the remote but nothing seems to work. is it basically fudged or is there a reset mode? cheers

Sponsored Links
yep, sounds like it's been fried to me.

I wouldn't mention anything about storms or lightning unless you're covered for that........... say the cat knocked it off the stand and it wont work now :LOL:

I thought lightening damage was covered? read the policy before you start lying.

Sponsored Links
Just mention the day it died, not how you think it died.

Leave the technical reasons behind how it died to the repair technician.
If they do not want to find out why it died then that is up to the insurance co.

The vast majority of times a tv is knocked out during a lightning strike it is a write off with the at least the power supply fried I would advise anyone to completely isolate tv and other electronic equipment before a storm by pulling out mains plug from wall and disconecting any aerial or satellite feeds to the tv/sat decoder until the storm has completely passed.

The vast majority of times a tv is knocked out during a lightning strike it is a write off with the at least the power supply fried I would advise anyone to completely isolate tv and other electronic equipment before a storm by pulling out mains plug from wall and disconecting any aerial or satellite feeds to the tv/sat decoder until the storm has completely passed.
The trouble is, you appear to be living in tockworth lala land! :rolleyes:

well I am the one that is puzzled would you be kind enough to enlighten us all and explain your cryptic post

I don't doubt your advice, thats been common knowledge for years but who, realistacally, is going to unplug their tv's when a storm's brewing?

well Freddy me for one I spent 38 years as a TV field service technician for the three biggest rental companies and have seen hundreds of tv's written off over that time from strikes via mains sockets and aerial feeds and I for one will not risk my £800 plasma tv for the sake of missing ten minutes viewing.

Thought they advised against unplugging the aerial/dish feed nowadays just in case its struck the very moment your unplugging it which means the misses is gonna have to ring the life insurance :LOL:

If you are that worried about Lightning then have an arrestor fitted (lightning Rod to most people) a single rod via a 100mmCSA ally or copper band run to Earth will protect 90% of the hi tech kit but there is still the EMP produced by the strike that will fry any sensitive reception kit or its first IF stage of any reciever,bar living in a Faraday cage the best option is to unplug your mains and Antenna links to the outside world.All the best and dont fly any kites :0)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back