TV Wall Socket Doesn't Appear to be on a RCD Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Moved into a house last month. There is a wall socket behind the TV in the bedroom and i've noticed that the TV stays on if I flick off the 'sockets' or even 'upstairs lights' within the consumer unit downstairs. I intend to flick everything on and off to see if its spurred off another circuit but assuming it isnt, is this an issue? and if so what can I do to remedy it? Would an RCD plug socket work or something else?

Sponsored Links
Moved into a house last month. There is a wall socket behind the TV in the bedroom and i've noticed that the TV stays on if I flick off the 'sockets' or even 'upstairs lights' within the consumer unit downstairs.
Ok.

I intend to flick everything on and off to see if its spurred off another circuit
Surely it cannot be otherwise.

but assuming it isnt, is this an issue?
It would be a puzzle.

and if so what can I do to remedy it?
Find out first and then decide.

Would an RCD plug socket work or something else?
To do what?

Ok.

Surely it cannot be otherwise.

It would be a puzzle.

Find out first and then decide.

To do what?
Haha sorry, this was a very quick and un-thought out post!

I'm just worried that there is nothing in place to trip this off should there ever be an issue and want to prevent any fire and/or injury.

I will give them all a test now.

Sorry ignore me. Reminder that if you want something doing, do it yourself! My 'helper' was flicking off the wrong switch.

Turns out it is connected to the upstairs lighting circuit, so not sockets but I suppose its protected at least

Sponsored Links
Turns out it is connected to the upstairs lighting circuit, so not sockets but I suppose its protected at least
Ooh a BS1363 socket on a lighting circuit. That is permitted but, two points
1. It will be fused at only 5 or 6 amps, so dont go plugging your electric fire in there. Best to pop a label on to remind an unaware persaon not to plug in a hair dryer.
2. Sockets circuits should be RCD-protected. Is yours?

Ooh a BS1363 socket on a lighting circuit. That is permitted but, two points
1. It will be fused at only 5 or 6 amps, so dont go plugging your electric fire in there. Best to pop a label on to remind an unaware persaon not to plug in a hair dryer.
2. Sockets circuits should be RCD-protected. Is yours?
Thanks for the response.
1. Good idea. Its behind the tv so will only be used for tv and sky box sort of things, but no harm in a sticker.
2. The house sockets circuit is RCD protected yes if you are asking a general question. Obviously this one is on the light circuit. They are next to each other in the CU and appear to be protected by the same RCD. Or have i misunderstood the question?

Send us a pic of your consumer unit.
1000006381.jpg

Lights is the one thats off at the moment, sockets is next to it on the right

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back