Twin Light Socket - Fuse Spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently moved into a house and in the conservatory there is a fan and 12w light which is controlled by a single light switch with a fuse.

Now I'd like to connect an outside light to this as well. Is this possible? Assuming that I cannot just change that single fuse switch to a double switch and one controls the outside light and the other the fan light inside, so any other suggestions?

Thanks

Martin

Sponsored Links
The switch with the fuse is doing two things:
1. fusing down the higher amperage circuit to make it suitable for lighting purposes (probably a ring final circuit)
2. the switch allows you to turn the fan/light on and off.

To add an additional light you will need to add a two gang switch. Keep the switched fues that you have got and rout e the output to the new switch.

Then one of the switches becomes the switch for the existing fan/light and the other switch can be used for your new outside light.

Have a look in the WIKI under lighting circuits for info on how to connect it up

Thanks for the reply.

Ah ok, yes I thought I would be able to come off of it, but was hoping there was a way to have a double switch with a fuse rather than having two boxes on the wall, just for neatness.

Thanks

In that case you'll need a 3-module grid plate, into which you put 1 fuse module and 2 switches.

Other makes and other suppliers are available.

Or move the FCU down to socket height (replace with an unswitched one, if you want) and put a normal light switch where the FCU is now.

Sponsored Links
Either one of those options is perfect, thank you.

May decide to move the FCB down actually as that is potentially going to be behind some furniture and then it's only a 2 switch on the wall still, so no changes are required there.

Thanks.

If you move it now you won't need to put a larger box in to take a 3-module grid plate.

Huh? A little confused. The box I have is like this. ... But the 3 way switch is bigger.
That was exactly BAS's point. If you replaced the existing FCU (as pictured) with a 3-module grid arrangement (one fuse plus two switches), you'd have to make a bigger hole for it (and have a bigger accessory to look at).

However, as he said, if you moved that FCU to a poistion lower down the wall, you could then put a a simple 2-gang switch (same size as the FCU), fed from the moved FCU, in the place where the FCU currently is.

Kind Regards, John

Yes that's what I thought, now I've re-read his comment it makes sense.

Thanks all.

Regards

Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back