Two devices on one CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have one unused connection unit (CU) in the kitchen, that was connected to our old boiler. The boiler has been moved away.
Now we want to add a waste disposal unit (WDU) and replace cooker hood.
I intend to feed the WDU from the CU. The hood is currently connected to cooker switch with socket.

The question is, can I feed both WDU and the new hood from one CU (assuming correct fuse will be fitted)? Is it allowed, or do I need to have two separate CUs to do that?
I am not keen to feed the new hood from the cooker socket.

Thanks

Rob

Sponsored Links
If you feed two appliances from one Fused Connection Unit FCU, then you would need to fit one fuse to accomodate them both being on at the same time. this would be the sum of the currents required. If you then fit this size fuse. one of the appliances could draw this much current without blowing the fuse and this would be greater than the manufactureres recommended rating.
So what do you think??

Much better to have separate FCU's

Check to see if the FCU you already have is on the ring, then you could extend the ring into another FCU.

Think it's a bit amateurish to have two appliances on one FCU.

Isolation? Faults?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for prompt replies.
I've checked manufacturers instructions and I need to clarify my question. In fact I probably need to change it :oops:.

The WDU instructions say that it should be wired via 20A DP switch & a socket. The WDU has a normal power cord with 13A fuse.
The hood instructions require FCU and flex outlet. It doesn't say what fuse, but for now I would assume 3A (I will check the back plate).

So the question is: Can I use one 20A DP switch and connect both socket and 3A CU to it? The WDU is protected by fuse in the plug. The hood will have 3A FCU with flex outlet. Is that a viable solution?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back