THE DREADED COOKER HOOD QUESTION, AGAIN !?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, this was suggested in a previous post about wiring for a cooker hood.

Take a 1.5mm or 2.5mm from a socket or the cooker circuit and fuse f/outlet at 3A or 5A depending on extractor load.

I have a recommended 3amp fused spar unit for the hood but all the socket feeds are well and truly covered with new plaster and tiles so I can't get a feed from them ! As suggested above, how do I take a feed from the cooker circuit ?

BARCUD

Sponsored Links
provided that you can get at it, you could put a JB into the ring and take a spur from that to the cooker hood..

the JB would have to be somewhere accessible for inspection... so not under the bathroom floor where it's likely it could be tiled at some point..

otherwise you could take a 2.5 cable from the cooker switch feed side or load side.. and take it to the FCU as long as it is within 3M of the cooker switch ( cable length, not physical )

this is dependant on the cable being securely connected into the cooker switch, so double the ends of the 2.5 over for a better grip..

Hi ColJack,

[provided that you can get at it, you could put a JB into the ring and take a spur from that to the cooker hood..]

Could I then put a JB before the cooker switch ? The JB can be placed in an upstairs cuboard.

[otherwise you could take a 2.5 cable from the cooker switch feed side or load side.. and take it to the FCU as long as it is within 3M of the cooker switch ( cable length, not physical )]

Cooker switch is tiled in !

many thanks,

BARCUD[/quote]

no, a JB in the cooker cable is a bad idea..
it's best to have as few connections as possible in a heavy current feed such as a cooker..

it's time to "un-tile" the cooker switch in then... :D

this is why you should complete your electrics before you tile.. in case you need to change anything..

( should go... first fix wiring, plaster, fit cupboards, second fix and test wiring leaving fronts loose, tile, tighten face plates, energise.. )

Sponsored Links
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !?

And this is of no use ? It runs from the lighting. View media item 9566
I could lead from this and from this to the hood is only around 9ft.

BARCUD

you've already asked this in another thread and the answers still no..

just because BAS is A.W.O.L., you won't get a different answer ;)

everything in the kitchen really needs to be on the downstairs circuits..
no one will expect the extract fan to be wired into the upstairs lights so will turn the ring off and get a nasty belt if they don't check first..

Okay mesage understood.

Under my work top is a twin socket for the washing machine plug. Can I take a 2.5 from there to the hood fused spar ? :confused:

BARCUD

depends on how you've wired it..

is the double socket straight off the ring or radial, or is it via a switch above the counter?

oh and what happened to part P??? hmm??

you said you were getting a sparky in to do the work and you were just re-positioning the cable for him??? why didn't he sort out the cooker hood whilst he was there???

Hi, the double socket in question is spurred from a double socket above the worktop.

I have a warm glow about this one and hey, BAS don't need to know I'm back in town :LOL:

BARCUD

then again the answer is NO... you cannot spur from a spur...

next idea..?

I still say dig some tiles out and do it properly..
or run a dedicated feed from the fuse board..

Hi ColJack, thanks for taking the time to advice.

NOW
:confused: maybe I'm not using the right technical terms but here's what I'm trying to say.

You can connect a socket to another socket to another socket ? yes ?
isn't that how sockets are connected around the house ?

What I am proposing is, taking a feed from the last socket and taking it to the fused spur for the hood.

BARCUD

that depends entirely on how it's wired, what size breaker and what size cable..

if it's a ring, then you can take ONE extra socket off the back of a socket that is IN the ring..
you cannot take ANOTHER socket from the same socket or the extra socke..

if your sockets are wired in a ring with either 4mm cable and a 32A breaker, OR 2.5mm cable and a 20A breaker then you can take ANOTHER socket from a socket on the radial..

[I still say dig some tiles out and do it properly.. ]

Okay ColJack, I'm not gonna ask you for good advise and then ignore it ! I know sometimes it seems as if I do ignore it but that's usually when I don't understand it !

Taken tiles off, routed some 2.5, connected fused spur for the hood, tested, all working.

Next . . . cut chimney to size, wire up hood to the fused spur, replace tiles, get a pat on the head from the missus . . . easy as green/yellow to green/yellow . . . red to red . . . and blue ? you know the rest :eek:

BARCUD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back