Two different types of concrete screw - which one should I use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fix wooden battens to concrete fence posts. Screwfix has two different types of concrete screw - ones with Torx heads with a thread pitch that looks like regular wood screw, and screwbolts that have a *much* wider thread pitch.

The screwbolts are significantly more expensive. Is there any good reason for me to choose those over the Torx-head ones? There's nothing particularly special about the job, I'm just adding some wire mesh panels between the battens to make the fence higher as fox-proofing.

concrete-screws.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Agree with above. The hex head screws are for structural load bearing situations. The torx screws will be plenty - either one. Beware though that they are dependant on the pilot drill and the material being drilled. Fence posts should be fine because the concrete is a good density, but in some other materials 0.5mm either way on the pilot drill can make the difference between a good fixing and not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back