Two Ethernet Cables Into Single Socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Is it possible to connect two ethernet cables into a single RG45 type socket while keeping a connection for both?

We currently have a desktop PC and a games console sharing the same wall socket connection but have to keep unplugging one or the other to use them. Would prefer an option that doesn't degrade the current internet speed (if that's a thing!).

Thank you for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I 'think' your question is "can I have 2 equipments (PC & Games Console) supplied by one Router/hub output connection?" to which the answer is No. To have more equipments connected to one router output you need a Hub; that adds a timing delay and contention when busy. Whilst the PC can and will cope with that a serious gamer may have problems.
You need a second cable from the router to work.

Putting two user devices onto one router output will stop both working properly if at all.

Managed to get a diagram knocked up to show my problem.

Attachments

• Untitled P2.jpg
    Untitled P2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 98
Just buy a cheap switch and another ethernet patch cable, plug the 2 ethernet cables into the switch and then the third from the wall socket to the switch.

I have a couple of netgear switches but you can get tp-link gigabit switches from £10

The latency/timing delays will be so small they would be irrelevant I'd imagine.

Sponsored Links
If the cable from the router to the existing socket is 8 core ( 4 pairs ) then one solution might be to split the cable at each end into two circuits of 2 pairs each.

two circuits one cable.jpg

The router assigns IP addresses to each ethernet based device that connects to it- on a per cable basis. So no, you cannot use a splitter.

Follow Joe's advice. The router will assign an IP address to the switch, which in turn will assign separate IP addresses to each of the two devices.

I would not advise splitting the 8 pair ethernet cable in to 2 lots of 4. The cables are twisted pairs. The extra 4 (unused) cables are designed to reduce cross talk. And if you did that, you would need to try and fit two ethernet plugs at the router end and fit a double wall socket.

In the past I have used ethernet cables for multiple telephone cables but I would never use them to split IP traffic.

Is there any reason why you can't change th single socket for a double to give each line it's own path?

Spudgy
I would use an 'Ethernet switch' as a splitter.

It will take one Ethernet cable from the wall socket and then two Ethernet cables to the two items you have that need a connection. Also gives you some more spare connections to other items you might get in future.

No other work and no programming needed. Simply plug three Ethernet cables into switch, mains power into switch and your main (downstairs) router will sort it all out by itself.

Have a look at these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=ethernet+switch

Last edited:
To have more equipments connected to one router output you need a Hub; that adds a timing delay and contention when busy. Whilst the PC can and will cope with that a serious gamer may have problems.
You need a second cable from the router to work.

A hub is an old fashioned device, completely obsolete now. A switch is needed. There will be no noticeable 'timing delay or contention'. It's still all just one layer 2 network.

The router assigns IP addresses to each ethernet based device that connects to it- on a per cable basis. So no, you cannot use a splitter.

Follow Joe's advice. The router will assign an IP address to the switch, which in turn will assign separate IP addresses to each of the two devices.

An unmanaged switch will just forward all traffic to the router. The router will will still assign unique address to each device. It is not a per cable basis. Using a switch is the simplest solution here.

Thank you for all of your help everyone. I've just bought a switch as per the advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back