two into three DOES GO!!!!

AdamW said:
I think it would take them: European plugs have a female earth, the socket has the male. .

Have to correct you on that Adam: only earthed sockets have the male, a lot of (old) sockets don't.
(Earthed sockets are compulsary in 'wet-areas': kitchens, uitility areas and outside bathrooms. Yep, I've done some DIY at the 'old home' also ;))

Sponsored Links
i was under the impression that earthing was mandatory throughout in new build installs now.

as for the female earth on plug/male on socket thats the french way, the german system uses side clips, most modern plugs fit both.

AdamW said:
I saw a picture of some sockets recently that take every type of plug I've ever seen including British 13A sockets... Well, it doesn't look like it would take those funny Israeli ones.

It was on a Lian Li aluminium desk, here is an image of the sockets.

lian_li_f1_desk_11.jpg

Presumably it is non-compliant with the BS spec because it appears you don't need an earth pin to allow access to the L and N connectors, but it does fit the plug.

(By the way, the desk is made almost entirely of aluminium and is very very sexy... and expensive!)

my 12V-230VAC inverter has 1 of those sockets

Sorry to resurrect this one again! I thought you might be interested though - these plugs are standard issue in China on all extension cables. It's weird though - the wall sockets are different again though and there is no such thing as a "standard" Chinese plug - they use about half a dozen different variations from my experience.

Sponsored Links
I was asked at work once to make up a yellow plug to blue socket adapter.
I did not oblige.

ltfc said:
I was asked at work once to make up a yellow plug to blue socket adapter.
I did not oblige.

why did they want one of those? and it could have been worse. it could have been blue plug to yellow socket

Blue plugs are great.

I've been securing all manner of items in the compression bit on the back of a 5-pin cee plug belonging to a colleague, then tightening it up so the item stays put.

Got a banana in there (by the stalk) pens, her little finger, and currently it is rigged with a party popper.

Apparently you can use them for 3-phase electricity too ;)

I think they wanted to run 240v vacuum cleaner.
In there defence they were a little hard of thinking.

btw powerconnections.co.uk have a huge range of adaptors including ones that screw over plugs to permanently convert them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back