Two lights into one plug, single switch?? Doable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run two bulbs, 1m apart to be suspended from hooks above a bed on free-hanging fabric cord. But the twist is I want to run them from the same plug and controlled with an single inline torpedo switch. Not sure how best to achieve this so all guidance welcome.

Sponsored Links
Could you fit a ceiling rose?

Can you not do it properly and supply them from the existing light - possibly with a pull cord switch?

But the twist is I want to run them from the same plug and controlled with an single inline torpedo switch.
Two small cables into one plug might be do-able, but that's not what you want. As I understand it, you want a single cable from the plug to the 'torpedo switch' and then two cables from there to the bulbs - and getting them into such a switch could well be a problem, since they are not designed for that.

I would suggest that you should be thinking of a more realistic way of achieving what you want.

Kind Regards, John

lights.jpg

thanks for quick replies. Before I rethink/give up on this, and just in case I've not explained myself clearly, here's a diagram of my initial thought. A picture paints a thousands words etc.

No connector/junction box/splitter/daisy chain (ala xmas tree lights) would offer a solution??
upload_2017-8-6_23-35-20.png

Sponsored Links
thanks for quick replies. Before I rethink/give up on this, and just in case I've not explained myself clearly, here's a diagram of my initial thought. A picture paints a thousands words etc.
How were you thinking of achieving the connection between the two lights (the '3-way junction' in the middle of your picture)?

Kind Regards, John

Join the switched "plug" pair of conductors to the to the "second lamp" pair of conductors (in parallel) at the holder of the "first lamp".

(This will mean that the first lamp hangs from two "cords".)

With care it would be possible to make a compact joint at the T above the first lamp. The images are of a 12 volt system (372 lamps ) and the crimps were left un-insulated.

The same method can be used for a 230 volt system provided the crimps are insulated with heat shrink sleeving. Extra mechanical strength such as nylon cord would be sensible given the weight of a mains lamp and lamp holder hanging from the joint.

With woven fabric covered flex the joints could be hidden by sliding the fabric over the heat shrink.

Lamp holders would have to be plastic as earthing would not be available at the lamp.

Drop joint before assembly.jpg
Drop joint assembled.jpg

He doesn't mind flex dangling from hooks.

He doesn't mind flex dangling down a wall to a plug.

Thanks for replies.

That junction box looks the kind of thing I was thinking of as it can be hidden above a shelf.

As for wiring, I assume it's just a matter of marrying L/N/E into three of blocks. Wire up from plug then two drops out down to light sockets?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back