two lights stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our hall we have a single light switch with three toggle switches.

Toggle 1= Loo light
Toggle 2= Downstairs Hall Light
Toggle 3= Upstairs/Landing Light (With another switch tat the top of stairs which also controls landing light.

Toggle 1 & 2 recently started working intermittently, sometimes the will sometimes they won't. The MCB does not trip/switch power off on this circuit it remains up at all times.

I have checked the switch and all wires are firmly connected.

I have checked both light fittings and both are connected.

I am now out of ideas, I have noticed that and it could be coincidence that after I tripped out the 6A MCB for this circuit that these lights are no longer working.

I am guessing that maybe a wire has become disconnected behind the Consumer Panel/Distribution panel, (It's A Protek).

Any help very gratefully received and Merry Christmas

Sponsored Links
Do you have a multimeter? Sounds like maybe a loose connection in the ceiling rose of the previous light in the chain to the loo/hall. See the wikki for 1 - way lighting circuits

Sounds as though its a slack wire in the lighting fittings or a defective 3 gang switch I doubt it is a fault in the consumer unit as it would affect all lights on that circuit. Check the red loop in wires in the ceiling rose and the black neutral loop wires. If it is affecting two lights then the problem should be a loose wire in the ceiling rose on the loop before these fittings

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info, you sir are a star! Merry Christmas and thanks once again!

:) :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back