TWO NEW INTERNAL STAIRCASES.... to be or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I have an idea to create a bit of a unique dwelling... too long to mention here (although this creation would not be for a harem, so it’s all very perfunctory)

So I want to run a staircase in each of two reception rooms to the 1st floor to each of two bedrooms. Do I need PP? Or building control or both or neither!!!

thanks in advance!

mark

Sponsored Links
The installation of a staircase in an existing dwelling does not require B Regs, however it will inevitably involve some other work that does requires B Regs: structural alterations to the floor; depending on the existing layout, work affecting means of escape in case of fire.
Planning would not be required unless its a listed building.

If it's to be perfunctory, don't bother. Provision of a harem would be fine, however. And it's hard to see how provision of additional staircases could detrimentally impact means of escape.

Sponsored Links
If it's to be perfunctory, don't bother. Provision of a harem would be fine, however. And it's hard to see how provision of additional staircases could detrimentally impact means of escape.
For example, if the existing staircase is an enclosed hallway leading to a final exit, by moving it so it now exits into a living room, we could potentially have an inner room situation so you could be looking at installing escape windows to the bedrooms and if not already fitted, smoke detection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back