Two Plate System - Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just contemplating (again!) rewiring the garage. There is an existing circut to which I am adding two further lights and a two-way switch - each light having its own switch.

Three plate is the easiest way to do the job but that would mean that I run quite an extra cable back and forth. So I thought about the two plate system. I can do it with two 5 or 6-way junction boxes wired in T&E and a short run of 3C&E to a two-gang two-way switch

Questions:

Is it usual to use 5 or 6-way junction boxes in lighting circuits? Too many confusing switch legs?

Is it usual to use 3C&E to provide the live feed (Brown) and two switch legs (Grey and Black)

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with using 3C+E for feed and two switch wires (Remember to sleeve non line coloured cores). I would look at your existing set up again and see if you can do it with the minimum amount of JBs as possible.
If you have no alternative then use two but it just means there are more joints to inspect when the need arises. They must remain accessible.
Are you confident in your abilities with regard to lighting circuits?

Are you confident in your abilities with regard to lighting circuits?

Yes, I have no problem with lighting circuits it's just that I have always thought three-plate with individual switch legs rather than strapping lives. I'm not a sparky but my father was and I learned from him.

Why do you need any JBs?

Hmmm ... I haven't thought about no JBs as yet. Can it be done without when using T&E. One to think about over a pint. I will probably still have to use them though

Sponsored Links
Unless you and I use a different definition of "2-plate".

2plate.gif

BAS. That is sort of how I think of 2 plate but I wouldn't expect to have a neutral at the switch. Neutral is kept up at the JB / ceiling rose and only the switch live is returned. I have a bit of an aversion to having netutrals in a SP switch and generally to terminal blocks (don't know why :) ). I also think of 2-plate when running singles in conduit.

I suppose my original question was for a combination of both 2 and 3-plate systems - a JB for the main feed ans then a feed to the wall switch and strap across other feeds and switch legs back to the JB to supply the light fittings.

My usual way of thinking is a feed to / from each JB and then a switch leg back for each light fitting with the switch leg going back to the JB. In my case it wouldn't make a deal of difference to cable runs and it was just a thought that the JBs could get a bit messy when modifying or fault finding.

Why don't you think about it over a pint, as you say, then post a wiring diagram of how you want to go about it?

Don't drink too many 568 ml's...

All this for a couple of lights in a garage?

There is NOTHING wrong with having terminal blocks or a neutral at the switch.

Conduit may actually be a better choice in your garage.

This is the thoughts I had on the wiring - not all 2-plate but a combination of the two types. As per the original post I wondered about the use of three core and earth for the switch legs.

GALLERY]

Excuse the old colours as I couldn't find a good brown that stood out. The five-way JB on the left isn't absolutely necessary

Looks fine. Assuming it's "cpcs not shown for clarity"....

And I wouldn't call it 2-plate, which probably explains the confusion above...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back