Two port Vavle stuck in Manual

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have 2 two port valves in my CH system and they both are stuck in the manual mode.

I am trying to get them back to auto mode but they feel jammed.

the valve actuator code is BGMVSP-2

can someone please let me know how to put them back on AUTO?

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure those are the ones where the lever sticks in and you have to wiggle it (difficult) to get it out.
Easier, is to make the valves operate electrically. That makes them go PAST the Man position , so they should unlatch themselves.

I'm pretty sure those are the ones where the lever sticks in and you have to wiggle it (difficult) to get it out.
Easier, is to make the valves operate electrically. That makes them go PAST the Man position , so they should unlatch themselves.

Thank you for this but what should i do to get them triggered electrically?

Sponsored Links
just a thought remove the actuator and check the valves themselves are not stuck ;)

Thank you for this. I removed the actuator but still i cannot get the lever back on AUTO.

Also shall i turn the valves to check .. just have to make sure that I put them back in correct position before i put the actuator back

Turn the system on, thermostats up.
Are they the British/Scottosh Gas, dark blue ones by anuy chance??
If they are I think they're Drayton in drag, and they do fail stuck.

I checked - yes they are,
The little button (right) on this pic will release the head from the valve, so you can see if the valves stuck, AND play with the lever on the head.
za5.jpg

Turn the system on, thermostats up.
Are they the British/Scottosh Gas, dark blue ones by anuy chance??
If they are I think they're Drayton in drag, and they do fail stuck.

They are British Gas - blue one - the code - BGMVSP-2

also thermostats - do yo mean the room thermostat? if i increase the temp by turning the dial then it would not turn on would it? i have to turn it down i guess (but i might be wrong). please confirm.

You may be turning the dial to the left - IE might seem down, but you want the marker to be next to a high temperature.

That would open the valve and unlatch it.
The lever on the left on the pic stays in normally, I think - without one in my hands I can't wuite remember!
The Man indicator is on the other side?

I checked - yes they are,
The little button (right) on this pic will release the head from the valve, so you can see if the valves stuck, AND play with the lever on the head.
za5.jpg

right! except the blue in colour

got them out by using the button.. the level is too tight .. last thing i want to break it. there is a little semi circular hole beneath the lever can i do something with that ??

DOes the metal bit on the brass body move reasonably freely? It doesn't turn very far.

If you turn the heating or HW (depending which valve) on and off you should see movement inside the corresponding aperture in the bottom of the head, and the indicator on the back of the valve shoud move. Have a go.

Im confused as too how your making this complicated!

Chris has explained it twice. If you turn the heating / HW on so the boiler fires this will unlatch the valves. Turn it off and the motor should return the valve to rest and close the valve.

Alternatively, the lever will unlatch if you depress it slightly and push it across to the right then hook it out towards you slightly.

If its still stuck open the motor is probably seized. Pretty common in these units. Drayton actuator heads are a straight swap for them.

You may be turning the dial to the left - IE might seem down, but you want the marker to be next to a high temperature.

That would open the valve and unlatch it.

Did this and bingo !!!!
It came out and now moving as i override the programmer to test it!

Actually i want to turn my heating on for period time now that winter will be soon here so was testing the system and making sure that all heaters are ok and all.

The system was not starting as i was reducing the temp on thermostat instead of increasing it .. but now undersood how it works.. the number on the dial represents the cutting off point not the starting of point so if you want to start the heating in high temp then the dial should point to temp higher than the room temp.. that tells system to heat up the house to match to that temp... got it now.

Will check my heaters and system now.

Chris - I hope you know you are a STAR !!! I really appreciate the help here. This is for you
images

Im confused as too how your making this complicated!

Chris has explained it twice. If you turn the heating / HW on so the boiler fires this will unlatch the valves. Turn it off and the motor should return the valve to rest and close the valve.

Alternatively, the lever will unlatch if you depress it slightly and push it across to the right then hook it out towards you slightly.

If its still stuck open the motor is probably seized. Pretty common in these units. Drayton actuator heads are a straight swap for them.

Apologies :oops: :oops: This is the first time i am fiddling with these systems...
Being an IT consultant do not have to touch 'moving parts & leavers' much
But the values are out and back to working now..
Thank you for the good tip to get them unlocked manually!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back