two single pole in 2 gang box, please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was simply trying to replace two existing switches with two new ones in a different color and I thought that I hooked everything up the same way but they do not work. There are three wires with black white and ground but only the black are being used and one of the blacks is hooked to both switches. :cry:

Sponsored Links
are the whites and grounds connected to each other and if not are there any wirenuts or similar hanging arround that suggest that they were connected and have come disconnected during your work.

all of the whites are tied together with a wire nut and the grounds are just twisted together in the very back of the box.

There are three black wires one comes in, one the first switch top hole and there is the second wire that is on the first switch bottom hole and then ties to the second a little further up where is was stripped and attached to a screw on the second switch and then the third wire to the second switch top hole.

Sponsored Links
out of interest what was the problem?

btw the grounds probablly should not be just twisted together as this doesn't always give good joints (it would certainly be considered unacceptable to just twist them on this side of the pond but i dunno what your regs are like)

Back