Two Storey DIY Extension complete - Here to share my experiences

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - Having been quoted over £125,000 for my extension I eventually completed the design and build for around £25,000. I have been encouraged to share my experiences to help or inspire others so I made a step by step blog. It's not a commercial site, simply a blog of my experiences. I am happy to answer any questions anyone has as I hope to encourage others. My motto was - be realistic but don't be timid. I believe that with conviction we can all achieve more than we think we can. You are welcome to read my whole blog if you wish or just use the menus to hop to something that interests you. I really hope it proves a useful resource. www.diyhomeextension.co.uk - Good luck to all, Chris

Sponsored Links
Great job, it was done 12 years ago, would you try it in today's economic environment?

Blup

Thanks. Although building materials have gone up so things will be more expensive I think the basic rule still applies that 80% of a builder's quote is for labour - fair enough, they have to make a living but I'd certainly still do the same again. When I started I wasn't sure how much I could do myself. The more I did the more confidence I got. For anyone wanting to do similar then I would say - be realistic but don't be timid. I also thought the project through with the idea - if at any point I find I can't manage 'what is my out?' so to speak. My biggest concern was whether I could do all the bricklaying. If I found I couldn't I knew I had enough money to pay just for a brickie if needed. In the end, I didn't find brickwork that hard. Staying level is fairly easy and Builder's Profiles are a godsend for staying plumb. I took my time and stayed neat. Everyone tells me how my brickwork is better than any in the village. Whether it's the right way to go for anyone else if for them to decide but I hope my site helps them decide, whichever way they go. Good luck

Nice website. Images in the articles are pretty small though. Having them clickable to view full size would be great

Sponsored Links
WillyWarbix,

Thanks and yes I do realise that the images could be better. If I was starting now I would video the whole thing but when I did it I wasn't really thinking about a blog or youtube channels. I'll try to dig out the original photos and see if I can improve things. Thanks for your feedback.

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back