Two Storey Extension on Semi Detached house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am thinking about doing an extension of 3 metres out for downstairs and upstairs extending the room out by three metres, the bathroom is adjacent to the neighbour.

My understanding is that there are right to light laws. So not sure to know if even the second storey extension being 3 metres away from my neighbour window, will this be allowed?

Dan

Sponsored Links
Possibly. In the village where my mum lives, the Forest of Dean District Council approved a couple of two storey extensions which both protrude approximately five metres out from the rear elevation and are both full width of the building.
They are on the north side of the pair of semis so don't ever block sunlight though.

The only way you will know for certain is to put in a planning application.

Although yours might possibly be permitted development...

My Garden receives light from the North, from a compass straight out of the back garden is a north west and my neighbour is north. So the light should not be affected by me should it?

Sponsored Links
With a pair of semi's, if somebody is proposing two-storey rear extension, then the depth of that extension would normally be governed by the 45 degree rule. If you draw a line 45 degrees from a ground/first floor window that is a habitable room (including some kitchens), then the extension should not extend beyond that area. This is why people in your situation would extend with their neighbour at the same time so the 45 degree line restrictions would not apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back