Two wall sockets keep tripping the fuse box.

that offending 6A was clearly knocking around in the back of his van for a while, just wanted to get rid!!
Fully agree with you because compared to the other ones it looked tired and nackered.

Sponsored Links
The breakers should be checked to make sure they are not part of the recall.

That circuit should have been mentioned when the time came for the spark to test, inspect and certificate it.

I would get rid of the lot into one board and get shot of those stripped-back tails at the same time. And the rubber tails....And the tackily connected bell tx...

How is the bonding to gas/ water/ oil etc....?

Sponsored Links
@mediter Thank you for the picture. As you guessed, the 6amp MCB is incorrect. The circuit is wired in 2.5mm² cable but, as there is only one conductor, it has been wired as a radial.
So, you need to put a larger MCB in there, but not more than 20amp. Wylex have 16A or 20A MCBs available for that board. One of those should sort you out.

Thank you so much for your help. At least it is something easy to sort. Now my daughter can have a reading light that works... and whatever else she can plug in.

Once again thank you.

Finally I have good power coming through the plugs with no drama. However, the replacement I bought is different than the rest and I am just wondering if it is the correct one. Please have a look at the picture and kindly advice. It is the one in the middle which is quite diffent than the rest.

Attachments

• IMG_20160927_093819020_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160927_093819020_HDR.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 120
Wylex have changed the design of their MCBs so the one you have bought is the latest. You wouldn't get one to match, unless you look on the second hand market, and I wouldn't recommend that.

CU makers have a habit of changing the look and style of their breakers, and it's a real pain as it spoils the aesthetics of the install. MK and Hager Have recently done this. functionally it will be fine though.

They changed the design after Breakergate. All breakers pre Breakergate are like the original breakers in that board: a thicker switch bar that is higher up the body.

As an aside, I personally think the new design is pants: there is less to get hold of if you have old, arthritic fingers to switch the circuit back on. It would have been better, in my view, to keep the same design but distinguish the new batch of breakers by fitting a different coloured rocker.

So, 6, 10 & 16A breakers need removing and checking to see that they are not on this list:

ELECTRIUM MCB RECALL NOTICE FOR THE ATTENTION OF ALL QUALIFIED ELECTRICIANS:

IN CASE ANY ELECTRICIAN OR CUSTOMER HAS SLIPPED THROUGH THE NET:

RecallAdvertWebII.jpg

6A MCB and 10A MCB codes:

RIRA, RERA, RTRA, RARA, RCRA, SRRA, RHRA, SSRA, RGRA.

16A MCB codes:

RIRA, RERA, RTRA, RARA, RCRA, SRRA, RHRA, RGRA.

Please note, these codes represent the last four characters of the code printed on the side of the MCB.

As far as I know, these codes apply to all Electrium breakers, ie not just the Wylex ones, but Crabtree and Volex too.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back