Two way dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, I've changed downstairs (ex)light for three gu10 halogen 50w, using originally 250w dimmer but now on to 400w dimmers, prob is if a bulb blows (Quee n Boo lights) the dimmer goes to full light only.
Any ideas on whats wrong ? remembering I get a tingle off downstairs lighting, but we got 5 gu10's running off the other side with no probs. Is it variolight?

Sponsored Links
so you are saying you have had a lamp blow and your dimmer wont dim?

the reason is the dimmer can not handle the surge of curent going through it when the lamp blows try different brand of dimmer

Scoby_Beasly regarding your "dodgy dimmer" you could always have

Rheostat.jpg
one of these

its a coil of nichrome wire (or similar) wound on a tube with a slider, depending where the slider is depends how bright the lamp is, they never go wrong, get very hot but never go wrong :LOL:

Sponsored Links
What confuses me is the fact that it's a three gang dimmer (3 circuits) and this is the only one that burns out if a bulb blows and its not the one with the biggest load

as i said, when the lamp goes it shorts out drawing a HUGE amount of current for less than a milisecond, this the electronics can not "handle" so they "die"

So thank the lord I have a spare single dimmer which we can "exchange" on a regular basis !! Can you reccomend a manufacturer of dimmers as I dont want to be doing this every month (s.w.m.b.o. has more than enough lined up for me to do !!)

breezer said:

Rheostat.jpg
one of these

its a coil of nichrome wire (or similar) wound on a tube with a slider, depending where the slider is depends how bright the lamp is, they never go wrong, get very hot but never go wrong :LOL:

And they are IP00 rated!

Rheostat.jpg

Reminds me of physics lessons back in '93 (or was it '73 ?? Aaaah the memory fades......)

I wonder if the memory of the physics teacher I had has faded. He foolishly left a piece of apparatus on his bench at the front of the room when he was called out for an urgent phone call.

When he returned 10 minutes later there was no outward sign that the apparatus had been running whilst he was away.

"Right", he said, as he reached out with both hands to grasp the gleaming metal sphere, "the Van de Graaf generator....." :evil:

breezer said:

Rheostat.jpg
one of these

I believe that is what is known in GCSE Physics as a "rheostat". By the time you do A-level it is "Variable resistor", then doing a Physics degree it becomes "the slidey thingy".

And they say alcohol dulls the mind! :LOL:

If we are going back to first principles why not just build yourself some form of Wheatstone bridge apparatus and use that to dim your lights? ;)

Scoby_Beasley said:
[
Reminds me of physics lessons back in '93 (or was it '73 ?? Aaaah the memory fades......)

Had to be '73 didn't it, really? By the nineties Physics had just become part of a lumped-together mess of 'Combined Science' and I believe that today to use such an obviously academic word as 'science' is deemed discriminatory because some child or other might not like it. They also don't like the kids to have any hands-on experience with kit, believing that leaving them to their own devices to search the Internet for 'stimulation' is far more rewarding and less likely to produce troublesome smart-ar*es who might actually want to learn something.

Cynical? Moi? :LOL:

MK dimmers (and others) have fuses in them so they would be a better bet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back