two way light switch, tripping rcd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

Around 6 months ago had a new consumer unit fitted (professionally).
Had made additions to the lighting circuit, with a few more LED downlighters (5w each) here and there.
Cable looks like 1.5mm.

Whilst carrying on with house refurb, I've been making do with a single light in a room, where I intend to have 5 or 6.

Upon leaving the house tonight, I went to switch a light on, (on a two way switch), and it tripped the RCD and killed all ground floor lights.
The switch controls 5 lights. Although I've been making do with 2 of the 5, yesterday I added a third... and everything was working.

Haven't had time to double check the '3rd' light wiring, but as it was working yesterday, I assumed it was correctly wired.

TIA

Sponsored Links
If it's been fine until you added the 3rd light I'd check there. Could be a loose connection. Are you sure a bulb hasn't blown, this would trip rcd as it popped.

Does the rcd reset with switch off?
If yes, does it trip when that circuit is turned back on?

Thanks guys

Got to the bottom of it, wierdly it was the crappy chocbox connector on light number one! It had munched the wire strands and not properly connected.

Yes, it was the RCD with test button... it's the first time I've encountered a modern consumer unit... should the MCB of tripped as well, or do they not do that?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back