Two way switch along side new one way...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everyone

I have just changed my single two-way light switch to a double light switch.

I had hoped to use the permanent live from the two-way to supply the new one-way switch, but i realise that i have no neutral to make the circuit.

There is no way to get to another lighting cable, the only possible alternative is to take a fused spur of the ring main, but that would mean surface trunking and 'Big Chief Number One Fella' (wife) would not like that... Your advice would be appreciated as i am in the dark here (literally!)

Thanks Ian

Sponsored Links
Chase out and bury cable, then re-decorate, take the missus out for a meal and a bottle of wine. Maybe flowers too!

..God has it come to this! Maybe I will buy her flowers; yellow, blue and brown in memory of the bleeding cables next to the single switch that are useless!
:p

Sponsored Links
Can you afford to lose one of the old two way switches, and use one of the cores as a neutral?

Or any space in the conduit to get fit an extra cable in?

Do you just have one 3 core+earth at this cable, or is there a 2 core+earth switch cable in there as well? If there is you may be able to fiddle about with junction boxes above to achieve what you want.

thanks for the reply.. alas the two-way is for hall staircase so cannot lose one, at the switch in question I only have the 3 core and earth and there is no way of getting another cable through to it.

Still due to previous advice I have started on a bottle of wine and things do look Rose er.

Any space in switch drop conduit for two twin+earths instead of one 3 core+earth cable?

Or fit remote controlled switches in hall?

Thanks again. There is no conduit I'm afraid as its an old property and the cable just winds its way through the floor over a very long distance.

There is one way if you think it is safe.

There is a fused spur in a room on the other side of this thick granite wall. It is a 5 amp spur from the ring that is used to supply an outdoor PIR light. Could i use this spur, i.e. put the lighting cable in the same 'load' connections with the feed to the PIR. In effect that means that the spur is protecting both the PIR and the lighting cable? From that could use the opening in the wall, where the plastic Hep2o pipes exit for the central heating, and may be able to mouse it through to the problematic switch..

I cant think this would be a problem but is it breaking any safety laws... Please treat me gently as I am well into the bottle of wine and can get emotional ;)

I suppose you could get away with that.

Obviously there will be two separate supplies at the two-gang switch, but then many houses have this in hallways with the upstairs and downstairs lighting circuits.

You may be able to fit a notice within the switch stating to isolate these circuits more than one fuse or circuit breaker must be operated.

Or mark something at the consumer unit.

What you propose could be confusing to anyone working on the circuits in the future.

Make sure the cable doesn't touch the pipework, try and sleeve with some oval conduit or something, or make a another hole.

Does the light switch have to be next to the old switch?

Thanks sparkwright for your input and advice.

I will take this route. I shall tag the cable in the switch with notice that it comes from ring main spur. I shall of course make sure that the cable is well away from the water pipes and shall tag the consumer unit as well.

I have to put the switch within the current one as there really is no where else it can exist.

Has anyone ever used the load from a fused spur for more then one purpose. Cant say that I have never seen it done.. any takers please.. hic! :oops:

The fused spur will basically be supplying two lights, I take it?

Nothing immediately wrong with that.

Used the fused spur, put tag on wire inside switch box and on CU
Thanks for taking the time to help.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back