Two way switch and feed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone give me a bit of a point in the right direction with this please?
I have a two way switch at the bottom of the stairs with three core, going to a two way switch at the top of the stairs for the landing light. I was planning on feeding the upstairs switch from the bedroom switch behind it, which is fed from the consumer unit, and continuing the feed into the loft for the other upstairs lights, so I have 2 sets of two core and one three core into the switch fitting. Is it ok to do this using chock blocks, and is there a diagram of this method I can check with? It's probably straight forward but I am a bit unsure. Cheers.

Edit, I just realised I need another cable going into the loft, Doh.

Sponsored Links
Is the bedroom switch a "loop in switch" arrangement? If not, you can't "feed" the switch from it, as there won't be a neutral.

There are diagrams of the various lighting wiring arrangments here.

Is the bedroom switch a "loop in switch" arrangement? If not, you can't "feed" the switch from it, as there won't be a neutral.

There are diagrams of the various lighting wiring arrangments here.

Cheers, no it has a neutral, it is fed from the consumer unit.

Normally those two statements would be mutually incompatible...

[EDIT]I must have sunstroke - for some reason I read the post above as saying there was no neutral. :oops: [/EDIT]

Sponsored Links
So it has one cable coming in from the CU possibly one going out to the next lamp/switch, and a cable going to the lamp it controls? With the blues/blacks in a choc block, the brown/red in either side of the switch?

I ask because many people see a red & black (or brown and blue) behind a switch and assume that they're line and neutral.

To answer your original question, yes, choc block can be used behind a switch, as long as there's room in the backbox. :)

So it has one cable coming in from the CU possibly one going out to the next lamp/switch, and a cable going to the lamp it controls? With the blues/blacks in a choc block, the brown/red in either side of the switch?

I ask because many people see a red & black (or brown and blue) behind a switch and assume that they're line and neutral.

To answer your original question, yes, choc block can be used behind a switch, as long as there's room in the backbox. :)

I am looping at the switches, the br switch which is fed from the cu, is a two gang two way being used as one way, for controlling two sets of lights in the br, so in that fitting I have four sets of two core, with live from the cu going to L1 on one gang, with a link to L1 on the secong gang and link to the top of stairs switch , two sets of two core for the br light fittings have their reds connected to com on the br switches, and all the neutrals together in a chock block.

At the top of stairs switch I have three cables, two sets of two core and a three core wired to the switch at the bottom of the stairs. One set of two core is the live and neutral loop from the br switch, the other two core is to go to the light fitting. As I understand it, usualy the feed goes to the light fitting first then from the fitting to a two way switch then three core to the next switch. I want to feed into the switch then to the fitting but am unsure with the three sets of cables, I also intend to loop to the next switch from here, which I realise will require another two core to go from this switch or the br switch into the loft and down to the next switch. Cheers.

This is what I am doing, but want to loop in to the top switch in the picture.
With the two core from the switch going to the light fitting.
Anyone ?

This is what I am doing, but want to loop in to the top switch in the picture.
With the two core from the switch going to the light fitting.
Anyone ?

I can't see any pictures :?:

Anway, from what I think you have explained, you need the neutrals from the T&E supply and T&E to light connected in a choc clock. Then put the line from the feed in to L1, and the line from the light cable in to L2.

This was posted by Coljack in another thread and is exactly what I was wanting to know, I just couldn't quite see it and was about to start sketching to work it out. Saved me some time. Cheers Coljack if you read this, and to the others who helped.

"loop in and out live cables go to L1..

live out to the light goes to L2..

3 core and earth go from common to common, L1 to L1, and L2 to L2..

neutrals stop in the terminal block, earths go in the earth terminal on faceplate, grid or back box.. ( or terminal block )"

Cheers Loverocket, this is what you just said too. I probably didn't explain myself very well. Got there in the end though lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back