Two way switch wiring problem

You are a star - thanks! That did the job. When I took the switch off one of the browns wasn't connected, so I can only think it wasn't secured properly and popped out as I disconnected the front panel. That's why I didn't try what you suggested.

Anyway, learnt my lesson, will get a pro in next time.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
You don't need to get a pro in (unless you're not confident to do it)

The easiest way to do it, if you have enough slack in the cables is to do it one terminal at a time

So take the switch off the wall, undo one set of wires and transfer to the new switch, undo the next and transfer etc. Foolproof.

If there's not enough slack, get s sharpie and mark up each cable, you can use the following code

Common - Nothing
L1 - 1 dash
L2 - 2 dashes

If you have a 2+ gang switch you can make a second set of dashes in a different colour to indicate which switch it came from. When it's all marked up, take a photo to be sure and then swap em over. Again, foolproof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back