Two-Way Switch Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a two-way light switch in my hall-way. One switch turns on the downstairs hall-way and the other turns on the upstairs light. Also i have a one-way light switch upstairs which works in conjection with the two-way switch downstairs.

However, recently a painter took the two-way switch out and now the two-way switch for upstairs only works if the one-way switch is off upstairs or if the one-way switch upstairs is on upstairs then the two-switch for downstairs will not work (confusing i know). Please help! I'm guessing it is a problem with the wiring. Thanks

I have the exact same problem, forgive my ignorance but I've looked at the stickys and I haven't got a clue what I'm looking for.....

If I post a picture of both switches can someone help me out?

Thanks,

Nick

Sponsored Links
All the wires on the bottom row need to move one terminal to the right.

Is the link between your common terminals installed correctly? There looks to be a lot of copper on show...

To be honest I didn't do it but I'm going to trim them back a bit as like you say a lot of copper is on show.

I better do it now before it goes dark!

Thanks.

All the wires on the bottom row need to move one terminal to the right.

Is the link between your common terminals installed correctly? There looks to be a lot of copper on show...

Hi,

I think I misunderstood what you meant, did you mean the 2 blacks and 1 red from the first picture all need moving across 1?

Regards,

Nick.

Sponsored Links
Yes that is correct.

Leave the top wire an link in the terminals they are in, and move the other three.

Hi, I did the above but it still doesn't work (see picture below, I trimmed back some of the copper hence the top wiring has changed slightly), does that mean that the switch upstairs is wired wrong or we have another problem.

Thanks,

Nick.

Try swopping the two blacks over and the two reds over.
(blacks should ideally have a red sleeve on them too, the earth wires should also ideally have green/yellow sleeve on them too)

Hi guys,

See the pics below, still having no success :(

The picture with the wires hanging out is just to show which one operates the hall light (this works perfectly). I've tried various different ways of wiring the upstairs light up but it doesn't want to work.

Nick.

hi nick
the bottom picture on your last post seems to be correct if the left hand switch is the hall and the right is the landing and the switch upstairs is wired as per the first post
if it is still not working suspect the right hand switch of being faulty try swapping the bottom cores over ie leave the red with the link as it is,take the black out of the left hand switch and put the red and black from the right hand switch into the two terminals then put the remaining black into one of the terminals on the right hand switch if the hall light now doesn't work put the black in to the other terminal

Maybe your hall pair has the live connected to the black conductor? In this case, your landing light will only work when the hall light is on.

Go back to basics and check all the conductors to see what they do:

Disconnect the power and make safe.

Make a note of where the conductors are at the moment.

Disconnect all wires from both switches. Start with the top switch, the one gang one.

Put the red and black from the same cable in a terminal block so they are shorted together.

Now go to the two gang switch and put a multimeter set to continuity buzz
(ie it buzzes when you put the leads together) across the red and black of each cable in turn. When it buzzes, you've found the right pair. To double check, disconnect the temporary terminal block & make sure no pairs are buzzing, then reconnect & make sure the same pair is buzzing.

This then is what you call the strappers. They link between the two switches.

So the strappers go to L1 & L2 of the top switch and the remaining conductor to C or COMMON.

That same pair of strappers goes to L1 & L2 of the landing switch on the bottom switch plate.

Next, put terminal blocks on the remaining red & black at the bottom switch position.

Make sure it is safe, then reapply power. With your multimeter now set to voltage range including 250V, check between earth & the two other insulated conductors to see which shows mains voltage (216-252V).

Now disconnect power and make safe again.

Whichever is showing live, put that to the common & put a link across to the other common.

Now place the last remaining conductor in L1 of the one way switch.

This way, you should get it working again. If not, then there may be a break in a conductor or a faulty switch mechanism.

Don't forget to sleeve the blacks to show they are live conductors and the cpc's to show they are earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back