two way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all

when installing a two way switch does the switch live go to L1 and permanent supply live to L2

if i am right please tell me if i sm wrong please guide me

thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
some websites show switch live to L1 and others show it goes to L2 can you place it on either terminal or is there a specific one please help guys

thanks

Please spend some time learning what switches do, what goes on inside them, how 2-way switching works etc.

That's a far better way to proceed than diving in without understanding the things you're fiddling with and trying to get help as you get stuck going along.

some websites show switch live to L1 and others show it goes to L2 can you place it on either terminal or is there a specific one please help guys
Live goes to L1 and Switch Live to L2.
For standard two switching your three core and earth cable's conductor colours must match the terminal markings in each switch. E.g. 3 Core brown to Common in both switches etc.

thanks does it make a difference if you put live and switch live the other way round

Or unless you wire the other one to match. Some people are anal about whether rocker symmetry should mean off, or not.

Well if he hasn't it definitely doesn't matter which way round he connects L1 & L2!

i do have a two wY switch its for the hall way thanks for the help i am rest assured that if i get L1 n L2 wrong way round it will still wrk

thanks

But you should know that.

You should know how switches work. You should understand how they are used to do 2-way switching.

You shouldn't attempt electrical work on the basis of blindly following instructions to put-this-wire-in-that-hole without a genuine understanding of why.

the picture makes no sense to me
Then you should keep reading about how things work until it does make sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back