Two way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace a new two way switch to operate the hall and landing lighting. The wiring is as follows:

two red wires, two black wires and two earth wires.

Can anyone advise me of what wire goes where?

Many thanks

Diane
:cry:

Sponsored Links
sorry, no.

you need a multi meter to find out what does what.

are you sure there are only 4 wires? (not counting earth)

Yes that's all the wires there are, unfortunately I had a cowboy electrician!

Dcgc said:
I am trying to replace a new two way switch to operate the hall and landing lighting. The wiring is as follows:

two red wires, two black wires and two earth wires.

Can anyone advise me of what wire goes where?

Many thanks

Diane
:cry:

It may be easy.....

Is this a single switch plate with two switches on it. Are there two lights that can be swithed individually by these two switches. Are there any other switches that control either of these two lights ?

Sponsored Links
poster did say tw way switch, but yes if its just 2 gang then simple

breezer said:
poster did say tw way switch, but yes if its just 2 gang then simple

Look for the simple option first.

An old lady called me to fix a two way switch. I got there found a "two way" switch. On way it was ON and the other way it was OFF

4 wires you say... no idea...

either has to be 3 wires or 5 wires.. 4 is not an option.... can't be done that way for 2 way switching...

either live in and 2 strappers with the switched live out at the other switch, or live in, switch out and 3 strappers....

ColJack said:
4 wires you say... no idea...

either has to be 3 wires or 5 wires.. 4 is not an option.... can't be done that way for 2 way switching...

either live in and 2 strappers with the switched live out at the other switch, or live in, switch out and 3 strappers....

It could be an intermediate. [4]

One of the four may not be used [3]

And it is possible for this to be a 2-way setup on one switch.

Cable one carries L and SL from a fitting. Connect to switch one.

Link wire from COM to COM.

Cable two carries 2 strappers from switch two to another switch. ;)

Someone posted last week who had this setup.

Just to clarify,

Yes it is a single plate with two switches, one switch should control the downstairs light and the other switch controls the upstairs light.

There is another single switch upstairs that controls the upstairs light.

These did work with the wiring before, just can't get them to work now.

As crafty has said - this setup is fairly common.

untitledamh0.png

says 2 way on one switch quite clearly in his post.. which is what i was referring to.

although after re-reading his post he means 2 way on ONE of the switches, didn't read Dcgc's post after his stating 2 switches, one of which is 2 way..

Link wire from COM to COM

thought he meant linking the common to the other 2 way switch the other end.. which would then be 5 wires...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back