two way switching using T&E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How would you wire a 2 way switching circuit using twin & earth cable between the switches?

Sponsored Links
1. If you have (or can arrange to have) a switchwire at one end and a live feed at the other, then you would link between the two switches using the T&E in terminals L1 & L2, connecting the others to the common terminals.

2. If you are trying to make a one way switch into two way without rearranging the wiring, you can't. NEVER USE A CPC (earth conductor) for anything other than earth potential.

This not only includes 2-way switching, but also passive infra-red & timer fan wiring, amongst others.

If a cpc IS used as a live conductor, another person cutting into the circuit cable may reasonably assume the green/yellow wire (in flexible cable) or bare copper wire (in cable) is at earth potential, when it is not.

Sponsored Links
Thanks securespark

This is how it looked, how should it be wired to work properly, my heads not working today :confused:

light.jpg

That diagram does not make sense. :eek:

For starters, you have a 1 way switch upstairs. 2nd, there seem to be too many cores at the upstairs switch position.

Third, a neutral connection would never go to a standard single pole light switch.

Can you clarify?

I drew it upside down. The top picure is the downstairs switches & vice versa.

I understand there needs to be a 2 way sw upstairs & the Black wire shouldnt have gone to the N of the light. The hallway was replastered & I'm guessing the switches were removed. Its strange that it had worked before plastering.

How would you wire a 2 way switching circuit using twin & earth cable between the switches?
By using 2 T/E cables.

I believe the best practice guidelines are to sleeve the unused T/E core G/Y and earth it at each end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back