Twyford Cistern Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a town house and have 4 (four) Twyford WC's with bottom entry pipe fittings. They're about 8 years old now and within the last two weeks two of them have started leaking. It's a small leak but enough to soak the floor over a period of time (standing on a wet carpet was the give away). The leak comes from around the water inlet pipe but space is so restricted it is very difficult to see exactly.

Now the leak only happens when the water pressure is on. If the cistern is full and no water pressure is applied then there is no leak. It is only when the isolating valve is turned on (even by a small amount), that it starts leaking.

Has anybody experienced this before and have any ideas that could easily fix it?

Like I mentioned, access is very tight and it looks like I'll have to remove both toilets completely to change anything - which seems like a big job for what appears a small problem.

Sponsored Links
You need a new float valve, it's leaking between the float valve which is plastic and the tap connector which is brass. You will also need anew fibre washer. Posts pictures of your cistern then we can advise you more.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Is this the shot you need:

IMG_3676_1.jpg

Hi Toneus, can you post a picture from under the cistern on the right, looking at the joint where the water goes into the cistern.

Andy

Sponsored Links
So when you turn the water on, does it leak from the isolation valve and the threaded part of the float valve. If yes then you might be lucky by just nipping up the isolation valve, but make sure the float valve does not spin with it.

Or it might be easy just to fit a new float valve, the ones I like are the Torbeck valves, always change the fibre washer if you do.

Andy

It appears to be coming from the top - which is why I was confused as it only leaks when the water pressure is on. If the cistern is full of water with the pressure off, there is no leak. It's kind of difficult to tell exactly where as the leak is slow - probably about a cup or so per day, but enough to soak through!

It looks like I'll have to remove the toilet from the wall anyway as it seems impossible to be able to get any tools to any point above the isolation valve. I had checked on the Twyford fitting instructions and it looks like everything is fitted together and then screwed to the wall and the final pipe connection made. I was hoping I didn't have to do this as it seems like a lot of work for a pretty minor leak....

Try tightening the plastic nut that holds the valve to the cistern, it might turn slightly which would be all it needs to stop any leak. As to enough room to work, thats what we plumbers are used to. You should have plenty of room.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back