Type C & D breakers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just two things i was wondering about,
If an earth fault occurs in my garage, the breaker (Type B) on the garage board trips, as it should, however the MCB in the house CU which is protecting the SWA supplying the garage also trips despite being larger (rated). would it be permissible (or even acceptable) to change the breaker in the house to a type C or type D? Would this solve my problem?

Also i have seen (twice) an entire domestic CU fitted with Type D breakers in Ireland. Is this serious or just bad practice? Why was it done in the first place?

How serious an offence is it to spur off a spur. I know it is not allowed by the regs, but lets say you wanted a socket in your attic and the nearest socket was already a spur. could it be done? I am asking more in a theoretical sense than anything else, I have seen it done and was just wondering.

Sponsored Links
Can't comment on the Irish Regs or system, but I know someone who can.

(SPOKEN IN TANNOY VOICE)

Can BR make his way to the DIYNOT forum where a customer is waiting? Thank you!

The truth is out!

10 hours and we are still waiting for a response to the Tannoy.

BR works in a shed!!!

From what I have seen posted by BR on the Irish Regs, the installation of Type D breakers in a domestic board would be a breach of those regs.

In the UK it would certainly be VERY bad practice and would fail a PIR as the protective devices would not provide for the disconnection time required by the regs in a normal domestic installation.

BR will be able to clarify the Irish perspective on this.

Sponsored Links
altec said:
Also i have seen (twice) an entire domestic CU fitted with Type D breakers in Ireland. Is this serious or just bad practice? Why was it done in the first place?

I'm not one bit surprised, this is not lethal however as FWL has stated will prevent the installation from meeting the applicable disconnection times and therefore does not comply with the regs (which incidentally are very similar to those in the U.K, despite being (in my opinion) less enforced/followed).

My bet is that you saw this in the Dublin / Wicklow or surrounding areas, The ************ factory closed in Dublin last year and sold off huge quantities of Type D MCB's at less than 1/5 of their retail price. Although they are in perfect working order (I bought 500 myself!) many electricians are using them in domestic boards.

YES!!! I saw this in two semi-detached houses in Bray Co. Wicklow!
Thanks for the reply. What about by garage and spur query?

Personally, I think any electrician that installs Type D breakers into a domestic property without good cause, as in they will supply a piece of high startup current motorised fixed equipement, is only one step up from a cowboy.

It is playing with peoples lives and the type of behavior that tars the self-employed Guys with the cowboy brush.

It is dispicable just to save a few pounds or punts.

The Type D MCB should be either be restricted supply, or a requirement to have them only fitted in a CU with a 30ma RCD incomer.

FWL_Engineer said:

EURO, Actually :LOL: But i agree with what you are saying.

BR said:
FWL_Engineer said:

EURO, Actually :LOL: But i agree with what you are saying.

Bl**dy hell, I forgot you lot went over to the Euro..I need to get back to Dublin!!

Millennium_Boy said:
The Type D MCB should be either be restricted supply, or a requirement to have them only fitted in a CU with a 30ma RCD incomer.

Not any good MB, the disconnection time for a Type D will still exceed the regs regardless of an RCD in presense or not.

The primary overload protection device should ALWAYS operate first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back