Type of flex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the guidelines for using types of flex?

a. each core has a single wire and the earth is not insulated
b. each core has multiple thinner wires and the earth is insulated.

Sponsored Links
AA2e72E said:

I dont understand the question. So i shall reply with a question.

I need two carrots for a broth. Can i buy them from an ironmonger if he sells his wifes armpit hair?

the thinking behind my reply was a student looking for an easy way out. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Maxxy, if you did not understand the question, why did you waste yours and everyone else's time adding drivel as your answer?

crafty1289, why is who I am relevant?

I asked the question because I do not know much about electricity and expected respondents in this forum to be more knowledgeable than myself, and give me a straight answer.

I asked the question because last week I bought 2 core + earth cable: it was of type a. I described in my original message. This week I bought 3 core + earth for wiring an extractor fan it is of type b. I described in my original message.

I wanted to know the guidelines or rules or standard practice for using one type or the other. I am certain there are rules for using one type or another. Simple enough?

AA2e72E said:
Maxxy, if you did not understand the question, why did you waste yours and everyone else's time adding drivel as your answer?

Didnt waste my time, but thanks for your concern

AA2e72E said:
I asked the question because I do not know much about electricity and expected respondents in this forum to be more knowledgeable than myself, and give me a straight answer.

DIY forum :LOL:

AA2e72E said:
I asked the question because last week I bought 2 core + earth cable: it was of type a. I described in my original message. This week I bought 3 core + earth for wiring an extractor fan it is of type b. I described in my original message.

Wheres the extractor fan going? Kitchen? Bathroom?

AA2e72E said:
I wanted to know the guidelines or rules or standard practice for using one type or the other. I am certain there are rules for using one type or another. Simple enough?

Got earth sleeving?

AA2e72E said:

a is CABLE. This is used in permenant installations. Larger sizes have multiple strands in the cores.

b is FLEX. It is not called CABLE under any circumstances. It is used on appliance leads.

two core and earth CABLE is called twin and earth. often abbreviated to t+e. 3 core and earth CABLE is often abbreviated to 3c+e.

With flex, is isn't called x core and earth, since the earth is also insulated and is the same size as the other cores. You just say 3 core and 4 core.

crafty1289 said:
Maxxy said:
AA2e72E said:
In the bathroom.

Search for 'part P' on the forums. You cant do the work yourself
he can, as long as he notifies his LABC beforehand.

AA2e72E said:
I do not know much about electricity

Get plenty of advice before hand if you do do this yourself. Try searching this forum for other posts where people have installed extractor fans

Thanks for the answers.

I did use earth sleeving.

I am going to show my ignorance again: what/who is LABC?

AA2e72E said:
Thanks for the answers.

I did use earth sleeving.

I am going to show my ignorance again: what/who is LABC?
local area building control. AKA the planning office. ;) They will arrange to have your new work inspected at theirs and your convenience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back