Type of Heating System...confused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys - I will be honest, I am a novice at any of this stuff and therefore will probably serve as more of an educational piece for me! I am wondering what type of heating system I have in my home, from what I have read and understood I have a sealed system with an open vented cylinder.

From looking at YouTube videos etc. it seems that sealed systems do not has a cold water tank in the loft but we do. We also have an expansion vessel in the loft too! I was able to find the following diagram but not sure if this is accurate or common in households. I also have an Aqualisa Quartz gravity fed shower where the pressure is pretty rubbish (spits/spats), could it be a gravity fed pump is incorrect too?

system-boiler-system_300x328.gif

If you can kindly share your knowledge around this subject it would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Ben

Sponsored Links
Firstly, the water going round inside the central heating system and within the cylinder to heat the hot water from the taps is entirely separate to that coming out of the taps. The boiler and central heating (Primary) system can be sealed, and does not need a cistern in the loft. It does however need a filling loop to fill/top up the system, a pressure gauge to tell you what's in the system and an expansion vessel to absorb the pressure increase when the primary water is heated. Such a system would be similar to that shown in your diagram.

The Domestic Hot Water (DHW/Secondary system) may well have an open vented cylinder to store the heated water, this will be fed from a cold water storage cistern above, usually in the loft, again, similar to that in your diagram.

A poorly plumbed shower could provide the symptoms you describe, if connections to supplies are not made correctly, the shower can draw in as much air as it does water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back