Type one or type two, that is my question..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi group, hoping someone can advise on best solution for my driveway. Its currently compacted mud and stone, the mud is carried in on the car tires which come down the bridle way. Will it be best to dig all the stone up and replace with new, or simply add new over the top of the existing,. And what type of stone am I asking for, hope the photo’s help.
Regards Otto in a very damp West Cumbria

Sponsored Links
You need to dig a hole to see what you have.

For a gravel drive you need a minimum of 150mm compacted TYPE 1 sub-base then perhaps 40mm of gravel.

The fact that you have mud coming up implies the subbase is lacking or non existent. If there is a sub base there then chances are it was excavated at some point and if you have enough clearance to dpc etc you could simply add more over the top and compact.

If there is no sub base then it may never have been dug out and so ideally you should remove 200mm and install a fresh 150mm sub base and new gravel on top.

It may be worth using a geotextile membrane under the sub base to keep the sub base from mixing with the underlying soil.

You need to dig a hole to see what you have.

For a gravel drive you need a minimum of 150mm compacted TYPE 1 sub-base then perhaps 40mm of gravel.

The fact that you have mud coming up implies the subbase is lacking or non existent. If there is a sub base there then chances are it was excavated at some point and if you have enough clearance to dpc etc you could simply add more over the top and compact.

If there is no sub base then it may never have been dug out and so ideally you should remove 200mm and install a fresh 150mm sub base and new gravel on top.

It may be worth using a geotextile membrane under the sub base to keep the sub base from mixing with the underlying soil.

Great response, thanks for that, It just so happens that I'm digging a small trench tomorrow, so it should reveal the make up. However I did mention that I thought the mud was being carried in off the bridle way via car tires, I'll update the post with pictures when dug out.
Thanks again..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back