Types of paint to use after using easi-fill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put up another post in case people miss this in my other post.

Following on from here //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=127021

I have been thinking about the type / types of paint to use after using easi-fill

Once I've managed to the easi-fill and then sand down the walls my plan is to try painting without lining the walls. Not the best option I know but the finish doesn't have to be perfect.

Now the advice I have got in the other thread was to mist coat with contract matt paint then 2 coasts vinyl matt paint.

I know u need to use contract matt on newly plastered wall but in my case is there any benefit. For the contract matt I was thinking of using Dulux Trade Supermatt but I have also read that u should only use Dulux Trade Supermatt on bare plaster and not on top of other paint and the surface on my walls is a mixture of easi-fill and old paint.

The more I read these forums the more confused I get :D

Also this might be a silly question but would using a primer instead of or before the mist coat be beneficial at all? Also if so what kind of primer?

Sponsored Links
I know u need to use contract matt on newly plastered wall but in my case is there any benefit. For the contract matt I was thinking of using Dulux Trade Supermatt but I have also read that u should only use Dulux Trade Supermatt on bare plaster and not on top of other paint and the surface on my walls is a mixture of easi-fill and old paint.

No theres no real benefit or advantage other than its cheaper than vinyl matt...so the advice you had was right.

If you know you have more than enough of the vinyl matt then use that as the mist coat instead..but still do two over the top.

thanks for your reply. In my other thread its be recommended to spot prime the easi-fill. Do u think this would be a good idea or just go with a mist coat of paint? And last question is would it be ok to use the trade super matt on top of the easy fill and old paint. Only asking again as im sure i read to not use it on existing paint. I've read that much im forgetting.

Spot priming will be fine..I got the impression most of your walls were covered in easi-fil..in which case its easier to do the whole lot..

Spot prime using thinned out emulsion..easi-fil is very absorbant and if you dont thin it the paint will sit on the surface and possibly lift.

Super matt should be ok...but if you know you have plenty of the finishing paint use that instead.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Zampa,

I would say it's about 50% easi-fill and 50% old paint. Will just do as originally planned and do mist coat with my vinyl matt finishing paint instead of using a special primer then another normal 2 coats.

Last question's hopefully.

What part water to what part paint do you recommend. I know the dulux web site says 1 part of clean water to 3 parts paint for the trade super matt but only says 1 part clean water to 5 parts paint for the Trade Vinyl Matt which is what I'm going to use.

What would you recommend for the mist coast and also for the other 2 coats?

Id say about 25% water to paint..

Doing the lot is a good thing..it will help hide some of the small surface inperfections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back