Typical cost of putting a Combi in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am still looking at the possibility of putting a Combi in to get rid of the airing cupboard allowing me to enlarge the shower that breaks into the en suite.

It is a 4 bedroom house, 1 with en suite, cloakroom, small study, front room, dining room, kitchen and up stair bathroom.

It currenty as a cylinder system with the bolier in the kitchen.

What would it roughly cost to have it swapped over to a combi?

Each radiator already has a thermostat on them alreadt.

any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
how long is a piece of string,without seeing it,it would be impossible to say too many variables to give a ballpark figure.
boiler model
gas upgrade
watermain upgrade
pipework configuration
amount of fittings req
type of controls
oh and yes a combi may not be suitable for what you want with more than one bathroom.

It is like going into a car showroom and saying I want to buy a car. Almost all cars will seat 5 adults but price variation will be OK, little high to impossible.

Combi boilers though are generally boilers of choice for most installers, but in most cases are unsuitable as hot water delivery is questionable when more than one tap is run. Throw into the equation the kind of chap that appears on Watchdog, you then have a situation that is fast getting out of hand for the end user. When the combi breaks down, then you are confined to the kitchen for your hot water needs and heat if cooking facilities are up to scratch.

Keep what you have or improve the setup. Find an installer who friends and family have been using for a while. Stay away from big adverts in Yellow Pages. Ask to see Gas Safe card when installer is selected. Get a spec of what is to be done. If comparing, compare like for like and only then look at the bottom figure. Mistkake often made is akin to looking at the final quote and thinking you are getting a Lexus when in fact a Fiat Panda is dellivered

Sponsored Links
The 'typical cost' is the combined total divided by the number of combis ever installed.

Why does everyone always insist on having a combi :?:

Judging by the fact you have 2 bathrooms a cloak room + kitchen I'd be recommending you stay with a boiler and cylinder set-up. With the possibility of fitting an unvented cylinder if your mains cold water supply is up to it. You could fit the cylinder in the loft if you have one and haven't had it converted.

I would say about £2200.

BUT all combis will only supply one hot outlet.

In any case its unlikely the dynamic flow rate into the property is adequate unless its been measured.

Tony

someone one ebay is selling a combi change cheap as chips (personally dont know how hes doing it) but head the warnings of a combi not satisfying your needs. alough u can get 'storage combis' which may suit you better.

Why does everyone always insist on having a combi :?:
When you work that one out, you'll be a wise man, my son ;) Perhaps also you'll be able to offer better service to your customers.

1k, straight swap for a dirt cheap boiler, unregistered guy, no paperwork
You can get a good boiler fitted properly (straight swap) and legally for less than 2k, although maybe not in Essex?
Changing from cylinder to combi will add maybe a thousand to the price, so you're unlikely to get much change from 3k.
10k, British Gas rip-off :) More seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if they quoted you 5k.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back