Typical just typical

E

EddieM

Putting up a shower screen today. Foolishly decided to use the fixings supplied. Have a box of bits drill silicone blah blah etc. But do i have a PH2 bit in my bit box.. do i hell...have bought some new ones

Sponsored Links
And that my friend, is what they call, life.

As the saying goes, **** happens, deal with it.

And that my friend, is what they call, life.

As the saying goes, **** happens, deal with it.

Indeed blasted the screws in with a pozi bit, the horrible chattering sound had my teeth on edge. But hey ho.

Weellll, as long as they come out, just mark it down to experience, and then ignore it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Most of the time it's better to chuck whatever they gave you and use some screws that actually have holding stuff as a selling point, not minimum cost to the manufacturer of some other item!(y)

Most of the time it's better to chuck whatever they gave you and use some screws that actually have holding stuff as a selling point, not minimum cost to the manufacturer of some other item!(y)
I agree complete I usually do chuck the rubbish supplied fittings away. But not this time :(

Maybe China hasn't caught up with pozi yet - still uses phillips ( maybe the patent's run out );)

Maybe China hasn't caught up with pozi yet - still uses phillips ( maybe the patent's run out );)
That's the only one I could find to hand, not sure if it's genuine though?
15074759328241530626827.jpg

I don't know why we don't all use square or hex screws. I'm sure they don't cam out like Pozidrive and Phillips do.

I use torx one from screw fix a lot. The trouble the head designers have is they can choose between not camming out or the screw fitting on the end of the bit securely. Also the square and hex put all the force in a week place on the screw and they don't want to make the screws out of expensive material. It's quite a complicated business of tradeoffs I realised

Well the a4 stainless torx screws I bought for the job should turn up tomorrow :oops: now that's what I call quality project management :D

I use torx one from screw fix a lot. The trouble the head designers have is they can choose between not camming out or the screw fitting on the end of the bit securely. Also the square and hex put all the force in a week place on the screw and they don't want to make the screws out of expensive material. It's quite a complicated business of tradeoffs I realised

Yes, I'm sure that a lot of research has gone into the design of screw types. I suppose that another advantage of Pozidrive is that, unlike torx, it will allow a slight leaning out of perpendicular of the screwdriver in relation to the head of the screw.

Yes, I'm sure that a lot of research has gone into the design of screw types. I suppose that another advantage of Pozidrive is that, unlike torx, it will allow a slight leaning out of perpendicular of the screwdriver in relation to the head of the screw.
Actually it's the other way round - pozi is very intolerant of lean compared with torx. But the torx fall off the bit easily

Actually it's the other way round - pozi is very intolerant of lean compared with torx. But the torx fall off the bit easily

I hadn't realised that. Looking at the torx screwdriver bits, the hexagonal part seems to be parallel along its length, and I assumed the screw head would be the same.

Is it the case, then, that torx bits can cam out easily compared to Pozidrive?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back