junction box amps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all,

im starting an electricians course in september and have started reading books etc to give myself a bit of a head start. I have a few questions that i would appreciate your help on...

is it within regs that you can use a higher amp junction box for lighting circuits as im struggling to fit the feed in, the switch cable and the lighting cable????

what is the difference between a double pole socket and a single pole socket????

and finally how the hell am i supposed remember all amp, volt, newtons, blah blah

many thanks in advance for your help

Aaron :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can use a larger rated jb than is necessary.

A double pole socket has a switch which switches both phase and neutral.
A single pole socket has a switch which switches just the phase.

Volts = potential difference i.e. the potential between 2 points.
Current = the flow of electrons between two potentials.
Newtons = the SI unit of force equal to the amount of force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second per second (from wikipedia ;) )

many thanks for your reply.

is true that if some one completed the 17th edition test and the part p test then you could legally work in a residential property???

Not just with qualifications, in order to self certify notifiable work you need to become a member of a competent person scheme such as the NICEIC, ECA, NAPIT, ELECSA (theres 2 more that I can't remember!).

If you are not a member of any of the above then to carry out notifiable work legally you need to contact the Local Authority Building Control, notify the work and pay therr fee before starting, this way they can oversee compliance with part p.

Non-notifiable work isn't as much of a problem however even for this you still need to comply with "P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury. "
One recognised method which goes a long way to achieving this is to work to BS7671 (IEE regs)

Sponsored Links
FYI, there is no such thing as 'the part p'

Once you have joined a competent persons scheme (~£600, then ~£400 per year after that) and you have proved to your scheme assesor that you have the sufficient knowledge and competence to do so, then yes.

Oh and you'll also need about £1000 worth of calibrated test equipment.

Oh and public liability insurance.

Infact, here you go

The enterprise shall:
a. be directly engaged in domestic electrical installation work which shall all be designed, installed, inspected, tested and verified to a standard not less than that affording compliance with BS 7671 and Building Regulations; and

b. compile certification that is no less comprehensive than that detailed in BS 7671 for all domestic electrical installation work undertaken; and

c. hold and make available to the Registration Body, within 15 days of a request, records, as prescribed by the Registration Body, relating to domestic electrical installation work subject to Building Regulations; and

d. have the level of public liability insurance cover prescribed by the Registration Body for the range of domestic electrical installation work undertaken by the enterprise and make evidence of this available for inspection; and

e. have and make available for inspection sufficient domestic electrical installation work to enable an assessment to be completed; and

f. accept the extent of inspection decided by the Registration Body, based on the scale and geographical spread of domestic electrical installation work carried out by the enterprise; and

g. have test instruments as prescribed by the Registration Body appropriate to the range and scale of domestic electrical installation work carried out and maintain and record the accuracy and consistency of all test instruments used for certification purposes; and

h. provide documents, equipment, tools, test instruments, facilities and access to the Registration Body sufficient for assessment purposes; and

i. employ persons to carry out domestic electrical installation work who are competent and/or adequately supervised to ensure safety during and on completion of the work; and

j. have sufficient persons, compliant with Rule 1.3, who will be proposed by the enterprise, assessed by the Registration Body and, if acceptable, have their role confirmed by the Registration Body as ‘Qualified Supervisor(s)’. All domestic electrical installation work shall be under the control of one or more Qualified Supervisors; and

k. maintain and make available for inspection a record of:
(i) complaints they receive about their domestic electrical installation work not complying with Building Regulations; and
(ii) remedial action, if any, taken to resolve complaints received; and

l. have a written health and safety policy statement and carry out risk assessments as appropriate; and

m. provide to the Registration Body within 15 days of a request, a list of all domestic electrical installation work in progress at the time and completed by the enterprise in the preceding six months; and

n. provide documents, equipment, tools, test instruments, access and facilities to those assessing and/or monitoring the scheme, eg the United Kingdom Accreditation Service, Government body, when requested by the
Registration Body, and

o. accept that if it can only provide access to domestic electrical installation work of a minor nature, the scope of its registration will be restricted to domestic minor works, and

p. provide an insurance backed warranty as prescribed by the Registration Body to persons ordering domestic electrical installation work; and

q. accept that whilst the Registration Body uses all reasonable care to assess the technical standard of the enterprise’s work, the Registration Body is not responsible or to be held liable for the technical standard of the enterprise’s work.

im starting an electricians course in september
What sort of course?

is it within regs that you can use a higher amp junction box for lighting circuits
If you had a car capable of 120mph, would it be OK to fit tyres that were rated for up to 150mph?

and finally how the hell am i supposed remember all amp, volt, newtons, blah blah
You just are.

I learnt Newton's laws at college: went out for a bevvy at lunch & fell over!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back