U and c track

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to build a small partition against my wall. I've seen the video using metal u track on header and footer then inserting c sections. As im not plaster boarding both sides. As such would the the c sections need to be screwed in the u track?
The videos I've seen show them using the plasterboard to keep the horizontal position on c sections.

I hope that maks sense.
I was going to use wood but these seem much quicker to put up.

Sponsored Links
Hi I know it's an old post but as no one has replied I thought I would.

The c-studs only require fixing to the track where it's necessary to do so using either wafer head screws or a crimping tool.

Imagine for example you are building a partition with studs @ 600mm centres and you're starting with a full board. You must fix the first stud at 600mm so it can't move when you try to fix into it as you won't be able to hold it in position. The next stud is set half and half to this boards edge and fixed to the plasterboard directly. This is where it is not necessary to fix the stud to the track.

The next stud is set and fixed to the track at 600mm of off the last boards edge and so on.

A couple of of things to note.

The way the stud is facing is important. The 'flat' side should always be facing the direction you are boarding. So if you're boarding from say right to left, then the flat side should be on left. Fixing the stud in the opposite direction can often cause the stud to twist out of square which causes a step in the board joints.

Don't try and fix all the studs in position before boarding. The reason being plasterboards are hardly ever 1200mm exactly. If the boards are say 1197mm, the 3mm might not seem significant but after only 3 boards you will have lost nearly 10mm. Just set set the studs off of the last board edge and then the new board edge in turn.

Always stagger board joints. In this case with a single skin partition, when boarding the opposite side the board joint should be staggered to the opposite board joint. So if for example you started with a full board on the 1st fix side, start with a 600mm rip on the 2nd fix side.

I know it's a late reply but hopefully might prove useful to someone.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back