U value from 0.6 to 0.49

Sponsored Links
I think if they say quad glazing is 'twice as good as triple' in terms of U-value, then their local Trading Standards at the council might want a word.

Noted but in terms of improved u-values, is it noticable? I was at the Grand Designs show in Excel London on the weekend and got into discussion with a patio door manufacturer (Cero?) who were selling their sliding doors at 40% premium to other large companies e.g. 2 sets of 4m wide opening was circa £27k v £17k for others. They claim that their u values were half that of others, around 0.3k

Some people have told me that you wont notice the difference in temperature in room between those two values.

In an average 4 bed house the difference between old single glazed timber windows and bog standard uPVC double glazed is about sixty quid a year. Using high quality low-e type glazing it's about ninety quid. The return between old single and double is better than you'll get between good double and triple, so I'd reckon triple glazing would save you another thirty or forty a year at best.

Sponsored Links
It may be worth considering also the additional (slight) 'comfort' that you may feel, and not just the financial savings on heating.

Also the additional sound proofing ... but that obviously depends on noise being an issue in your circumstance.

The larger the area of glass you're talking about, the more it may become relevant ... but not much(?)

Yes improved sound insulation and comfort is desirable...I tend to feel cold a lot around the house in general and like the temp setting at 23/24, but never bother with a jumper.

But the cost of triple glazing is quite substantial so not sure if cost:benefit ratio stacks up, especially if the savings are only £30-£90 a year as some have suggested.

Are these glasses more prone to failure i.e. condensation between panes etc?

Don't know from experience, but would imagine when spending that kind of money it'd come with a worthwhile guarantee.

TG financially doesn't stack up against DG - you never recoup the cost of the third pane in lower heating. What you do find is that the inner pane of glass stays warmer and makes you feel warmer, so you might turn the heating down a notch. The problem is that other factors take over - air tightness and insulation; throwing an extra thousand quid at those is a better idea than TG. QG is likely to be a total loser financially - definitely never recoup the premium. You also get glazing units that are even more likely to fail and mist up (if you regard the chance of any particular glass-air-glass sandwich as failing as X%, then every sandwich you add increases the risk) and theyre incredibly heavy. They also cut down the light entering the property, so your passive solar gain is lower. Passivhauses are not specified with QG

Yes improved sound insulation and comfort is desirable...I tend to feel cold a lot around the house in general and like the temp setting at 23/24, but never bother with a jumper.

But the cost of triple glazing is quite substantial so not sure if cost:benefit ratio stacks up, especially if the savings are only £30-£90 a year as some have suggested.

Are these glasses more prone to failure i.e. condensation between panes etc?

I would expect there to be the usual 10 year guarantee on the glass from the supplier. Which means if one breaks down they will send you a new unit that will need fitting, Assuming the company are still around in 10 years to send one.

It also depends who fits it, If a Fensa registered double glazing company supplies and fits with usual IBG guarantees (If its newbuild you will have to check first that they will register it with their insurance provider) the guarantee will also cover the fitting of any replacement units.
Builders wont generally give 10 years guarantee on the fitting (you can always ask).

With triple or quad glazing you have 1 or 2 extra seals over double glazing, More seals means more likelihood of them breaking down at some point IMO and more cost in replacing them when they do go after any guarantees have expired.
Average lifespan of a well made and fitted double glazed unit is 10-35 years, Personally I would guess at reducing that by a third or a half with the extra seals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back