U value questions regarding area weighted calculation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just in the process of sorting my building regs plans and need to work out what insulation i need to fit.

I've got over 25% glass area so going to use the area weighted calculation to prove my design is no worse that the maximum if complying with part L.

Q1. under part L does a bi fold door have to have a maximum of 1.8U, or is it classed as a window due to the glass and got to be 1.6 or under?

Q2. When working out my area m2 of wall, floor etc, do I ignor the wall that joins the house I am building the extension onto, since that is going to be an internal wall?

Q3. Do I class the wall that will attach the garage as an external wall? it is current single skin but will be knocked down and rebuilt as a cavity wall but will be internal to the garage on the other side, the garage is a simple single skin attached to the side of the house with a flat roof.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Off the top of my head, so could well be wrong.

Q1. I always use 1.8 for sliding folding doors
Q2. Yes, you only use external walls
Q3. If the garage is unheated space I would take the wall between extension and garage as external wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back