extension within Kent Green Belt/AONB area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all the DIYnot community, I am hoping to get some general and if possible more specific advice regarding our plans to extend a 2 storey 4 bed semi within Kent Green Belt/AONB area, the site specifics are as follows-
1958- Original Building-2 storey/3bed semi (approx. floor area 106sqm)
& free standing garage (approx. floor area 14sqm)
1985- Ground Floor rear extension-extend kitchen & dining area, flat roof (approx. floor area 19sqm)
1986- demolish rear garage & rebuild adjoining to side of home (approx. floor area 18sqm)
*I have since discovered that the garage wall is built only 0.5m - 0.75m from the side boundary, flush with the homes front wall, brick with hipped roof and building approval restricts use to garage only*
1986- Loft Conversion (approx. floor area 23sqm)
1993- Rear attached Conservatory (approx. floor area 19sqm)
The previous owners purchased in 2000 and carried out no further building works.
OK, so based on the above, my questions are-
1)Assuming the 50% existing floor area rule being applied to extensions;
a) would the 86 garage be considered a "swap" for the demolished one, thus excluded from reducing the allowable extension area?
b) if not would the original floor area be considered as 106sqm + 14sqm original garage?
c) is the Conservatory considered an extension for the purpose of these calculations, even when not under the main roof and still sealed off by previous external walls/windows and outside doors?
d) is the Loft conversion considered an extension for the purpose of these calculations?
e) if anyone has dealt with this before, can you tell me your opinion on what would be the maximum floor area we could expect to achieve using these calculations?
2)Proposed extension-
a) The easiest extension would be to just build above the existing garage, but given its proximity to the side boundary there is some possibility the Council will still insist on a 1m setback, creating an unbalanced front elevation and further problems with support of the first floor (it would be a concrete tile front hung on timber frame in keeping with the existing materials & the roof line would easily be extended), any probability of a relaxation here,Thoughts?
b) There is a possibility the siting of the garage contravenes the Land Titles restrictive covenant with regards to minimum setback also, Thoughts?
c) Previous approval had been given (in 1970 though) to extend over what is now the flat roof ground floor extension at the rear right up to the adjoining side boundary (the other half of the
semi/neighbours). We could achieve what we require by building over this extension to the rear,
but not with the current 2m setback requirement on that side, Thoughts?
There are many benefits to our proposal for extension, not least of all to remove and replace what
feel like "deathtrap" loft winder stairs that are only 600mm width and rising 42o pitch/11 treads, plus opening up what are cramped/narrow areas lacking natural light. We are not looking to add to occupancy, eg it will still be a 4bed, just redesign/reconfigure and retain 4 beds plus extend or add a bathroom on the first floor? As part of this we are looking to improve the EPC rating significantly and install renewable energy options.
3) Any general advice/ hints/warnings would be greatly appreciated, including any professional referals for services.
Kind regards
Cookey

Sponsored Links
1) The 50% rule is no longer relevant. Therefore all of your thoughts with regards to areas here or there are irrelevant.
2)
a) The chances are that the existing garage construction will make it impractical to build above, it is probably more practical and may even be more economical to knock it down and start again. Planners often insist on the set-back, it’s possible you would get approval but unlikely I suspect. But if the garage is of little use this may be a moot point.
b) The planners aren’t gonna check the deeds
c) If a rear extension suits the layout better than go for it, though, as per the garage, you may find that the existing construction of the extension does not lend itself to adding a storey on top.

For clarity this is what you can do under Permitted Development: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/ though AONB’s are more restrictive.

3) With regards to getting going employing a technician or surveyor who does planning/building regs is the way to go, have a read here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1362843#1362843

No doubt others will be along to say that you can of course do it all yourself which of course you can if you’re inclined to.

Hiya FMT and thanks for the quick reply, suprised you say the 50% test is no longer applicable as the "pre-planning" chat I had with a council officer seemed to bang on about it as a rule they would apply?
The garage is of great use, solid brick construction, fully tiled hip roof and attched to the house, so really knocking it down would be a step backwards, especially as it would then be subject to to the 1m setback, making it too narrow!
The existing flat roof rear construction lends itself very well to going up, but the 2m side boundary setback makes this too restrictive. Maybe I need a mix of both- on top of garage and rear, but this is so bitsy?
The other thing that confuses me is the extension should be secondary to the actual home, but the roof line needs to the same, but "Extensions should relate well in design terms to the original dwelling in respect of
bulk, height, materials, windows and detailing" plus "In general two storey extensions should have pitched roofs to match the existing
dwelling" yet some indications are that if I persue the over garage extension, then not only do they want a 1m setback from side (effectively +0.5m off the existing side garage wall as exists) but also a setback from the frontage of the existing building (to "demark" the extension from the main building), but how would you then achieve the same roof pitch, as well as conform with the rest of the aforementioned aesthetics? It seems a conflict of requirements? cheers

You're getting to het up on what you've been told by the planning officer or the official blurb, yes the pitch should match the existing but that just means the same pitch not that the existing roofline has to run through, your extension roof can be lower. Generally extensions will be looked at in their own merit.

The issue with doing front extensions that are not set back is that they can look OK but only when the materials used for the new bit match and by that I mean they are identical not just the same make of tile or make of brick. If not it will just stand out a mile and look crap.

I would be very surprised if planning expected the first storey on the side to be set back from the side if that's what you mean?

BTW planning is chock-a-block full of conflicts and little hypocrisies.

Sponsored Links
Thanx again FMT,
1st storey on the side? Not following?
On top of the garage- it is only 0.5m from side boundary, thus they may enforce a further 0.5m to = 1m if built on top?
At rear, the side boundary I assumed would be minimum 2m setback from the info provided?
cheers again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back