Neightbour Extension - future issue to our plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I hope some of you knowledgeable people may be able to pass your comments over how our neighbour's proposed extension may effect our future plans. I have drawn the plan below but essentially both us and our neighbour have semi detached houses with adjoined garages. Between our garage is approx 1m side path for each property (two metre gap with fence as boundary in middle). Our neightbours are proposing extending behind their garage, single story, as indicated by the green area. They would then have a pitched roof along the length of the new extension and garage (which is currently flat roof).

In several years time, we would like to extend to include the equivalent green area our property but to be double story and also up over the garage. This is something our adjoining neighbour has done.

Is it likely our neighbours plans will prevent our future plans?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Sponsored Links
Are you saying you will object to their proposal if you think it will reduce the chances of you getting approval?

Not necessarily. We get on well with our neighbours and wouldnt want that to change. Our plans may also not happen but we bought having the option and it would be useful to understand whether their plan would remove this option. Long term it may be better to move if need the extra space etc. We probably wouldn't even be able to generate sufficient arguement to prevent them going ahead and it may be permitted development.

I suppose looking for understanding of implications for us so we can plan long term.

I should mention, there are no shared utlilities, drainage etc in the area they plan to build.

Thank you

I suggest you:

let them take a crack at the planning department, spend money and do battle, hopefully win

on the back of their application, submit your own for a similar or identical thing before local planning policy changes, or even before your planning officer's dog dies and they start having a off-quarter

get approval, having spent far less

start the works by digging some foundations, pour a bit of concrete, get it signed off as started and then bury the concrete and go about your life for a few years

finish your extension

Sponsored Links
Are you saying you will object to their proposal if you think it will reduce the chances of you getting approval?

Doesn't sound like reasonable grounds for objection, or one that has any material planning policy weight, tbh ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back