PD Green Belt Specifics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently working through what we can and can’t do down planning or PD routes for our home which is in green belt and an AONB. The house is already at the maximum 50% additional area allowed by our local authority, and despite being in over an acre the pre- planning advice says this is strict so PD looking the likely option. We also wanted to knock down an existing old prefab double garage to side and replace with a triple garage but they have indicated they will say no.

A plan of our house is attached.

The particular queries I’m struggling with where any opinions would be appreciated are:

1. I understand area A would be PD if it did not join area B, as otherwise it would be considered a side extension which is not allowed under green belt. However, if I demolished area B first would this then allow me to extend across the full rear with no gap under PD?
2. For the garage to fall under PD and again due to green belt my understanding is that I can build but only to rear, ie line D. However, if I demolish B first can I advance the garage to line C under PD?

The really annoying thing is that although I believe area B to be original, the floor level is much lower, almost ground level and suspect it was actually an outdoor store/toilet.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 0B4CAB1C-BFD8-4A8F-B3CB-28B339FD8906.jpeg
    0B4CAB1C-BFD8-4A8F-B3CB-28B339FD8906.jpeg
    361.4 KB · Views: 271
Sponsored Links
If area B was original, you cannot demolish it and then build right across the rear under p.d. because it would fall foul of A1(j).
If you could prove it was a later extension (built after 1948), then you could demolish and extend.

You could extend at A under p.d., but the LPA might expect you to leave a 'material gap' between A and B so that the extensions don't 'read' as one.
There are appeal cases for and against this proposition, so it's a moot point.

Many thanks Tony.

If it could be shown/argued it was an attached store, ie not living space, would we then be able to extend right across rear under PD?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back