Ubuntu & Eposon printer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying out the Ubuntu version of the Linux operating system but, cannot get my printer to work effectively. The printer is an Epson all in one Stylus Photo RX640. If anyone could guide me on how I would go about getting Ubuntu to fully recognize this printer, it would be much appreciated. There seem to be various downloads available, ie, Avasys etc, but, I don't seem to be able to find this printer listed or, as an amateur PC user, fully understand the procedure. If anyone has successfully used this printer with Ubuntu, any advice or tips would be very much appreciated Thanks in advance for any comment.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if there are many Linux users on these DIYnot forums.
If you don't get any successful advice in a short period of time then try the special Linux help forum here
dave

Many thanks Dave for your comment. As it happens, I have now been successful in loading the printer software onto my desktop where I run Windows but, I should like to expand my use of Linux on my other PC so will persevere. Your link looks to be most helpful and it might just have the help which I require.
Thanks again.

The Epson site points you here for Linux drivers for your printer. It doesn't mention Ubuntu by name, so download the Debian version as Ubuntu is based on Debian.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks Mark As you might have gathered, I am an amateur when it comes to PC's, but, your link looks promising so I will spend some time investigating.

No probs. I would also recommend the Ubuntu Forums The linux community is always helpful to encourage and assist people get to grips with Linux. 1 tip though is that they want to see that you have had a go yourself and don't expect it handed on a plate.

Yes, that's understood because, after all, the facility is free so,at least, a little bit of effort by the enquirer is understood. The reason that I am "dabbling" with Linux is that it keeps my addled brain on the go. I am past pensionable age and my computing has always been Windows based so, another system to experiment with is interesting. As most software is Windows based, using Linux to run the printer etc, via downloads, is, to an amateur, a bit of a minefield. However, I shall persevere. I find Open Office a very good program and much more preferable to the expensive Windows version.
Many thanks for your comments

Back