printer driver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a friend who has an old PC running on WindowsXP. It is not connected to the internet as she does not have any internet connection.
She wants to connect a printer. None come with a Cd of drivers these days.
Would it be possible for me to download the drivers and save them to a USB stick and give that to her so she can install them on her old unconnected PC?
I think that should be possible but I wonder if any printers still have drivers for XP.
Are some makes of printer better than others for this?
Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you can get hold of a printer which is (fully) PCL3 or PLC5 or EpsonLQ compatible, then one of the XP "native" drivers will work with it. If the printer is "host-based" then it is unlikely (after all these years) that a suitable driver for XP will be available.

Sponsored Links
https://smallbusiness.chron.com/determine-printer-compatible-windows-xp-57168.html
"...Check for a Generic Driver
If you cannot locate a Windows XP driver, see if a generic or universal driver is available for your printer model on the manufacturer’s website. HP, for example, offers a universal print driver that works with Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. Generic drivers are helpful when an application, the operating system or other environmental issues prevent a printer from working correctly with its specific published drivers. A generic driver can also save the day if your printer is so old that an XP driver was never developed for it..."

-0-

Back