1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

printer driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by john4703, 11 Oct 2020.

1. john4703

john4703

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a friend who has an old PC running on WindowsXP. It is not connected to the internet as she does not have any internet connection.
    She wants to connect a printer. None come with a Cd of drivers these days.
    Would it be possible for me to download the drivers and save them to a USB stick and give that to her so she can install them on her old unconnected PC?
    I think that should be possible but I wonder if any printers still have drivers for XP.
    Are some makes of printer better than others for this?
    Any advice appreciated.

2. chalkywhite

chalkywhite

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Driver copy to USB will work fine. Can't comment for compatibility

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Astra99

Astra99

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you can get hold of a printer which is (fully) PCL3 or PLC5 or EpsonLQ compatible, then one of the XP "native" drivers will work with it. If the printer is "host-based" then it is unlikely (after all these years) that a suitable driver for XP will be available.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. empip

empip

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    https://smallbusiness.chron.com/determine-printer-compatible-windows-xp-57168.html
    "...Check for a Generic Driver
    If you cannot locate a Windows XP driver, see if a generic or universal driver is available for your printer model on the manufacturer’s website. HP, for example, offers a universal print driver that works with Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7. Generic drivers are helpful when an application, the operating system or other environmental issues prevent a printer from working correctly with its specific published drivers. A generic driver can also save the day if your printer is so old that an XP driver was never developed for it..."

-0-

6. Sponsored Links