UFH - concrete slab above or below?

Now that's classy Shambolic, I'm not often envious of others, but I'll admit to it here. So what time does the normal system come on then for the rads, and what's your design and setup.

Sponsored Links
Now that's classy Shambolic, I'm not often envious of others, but I'll admit to it here. So what time does the normal system come on then for the rads, and what's your design and setup.
I'll go into it tomorrow too late tonight as working early.

So bennyboy tell me how rads will heat my lounge evenly?
2.5 storey height and over several rooms?
Go on tell me?
With new builds designed with so much vertical and horizontal open plan under floor heating might be the best ( or least bad ) option for silent heating. The architects I know would if they did such a building would include some air management to bring warm air accumulating at the top of the building back down to the ground floor level. This reduces the likely hood of Warm lounge, bake house bedrooms

Is that your home ?. I recall a very similar building was the subject of discussion regarding the glass walls to the bridge.

Rads would look crap and leave massive cold spots.
Standard rads might look out of place, ther are rads that do not look like rads. and then there is the Warm Wall concept.

So my underfloor has built in optimum start and I set it for 20 deg at 630am.
suppose there is an un-expected change in your daily routine and you need the house warm at say 5 am. How quickly will the UHF get the room to a warm temperature on a cold winters day ?

Nurse has took Bennys internet privileges away again as he's gone.
Sarcasm, the lowest form of wit, and a tool used to deride the opponent in a debate.

I think Google have rationed him
Google is fine for almost instantly locating public domain documents. It takes a while to obtain the more interesting information as most of it is sourced by questions and answers by e-mail

Sponsored Links
What is the set back temp?
Isn't that the temperature that the house is kept at when it not required to be warm ?

With vertical open plan would the set back be for the upper floors or the lower floors ? How does UFH deal with steep vertical temprature gradients ? ( for new readers warm air rises ) .

How do you think radiators in a vertical open plan is going react? Do you understand the difference between convection and radiation?

Do you understand how that affects perceived comfort?

Last edited:
Reading the posts, and others, I'm assuming UFH is a new house install as the disruption/destruction in a existing, modern, suspended concrete floor is impractical ? I've always considered UFH inefficient, too slow to warm up and very, very expensive to install but I'm beginning to change my views apart from the last one ?

Last edited:
UFH gives the best comfort feeling.

It is very efficient if the timing problems can be addressed which usually means repeated daily lifestyles.

Most effective when the occupation is nearly 100% as in hospitals, libraries and old people's homes.

Totally unsuitable for single people with unpredictable hours like police, fire and outside broadcast staff.

kollmar temp gradient de.jpg
It might be that Dr Ing Albrecht Kollmar's ideas have been surpassed by now, it was way back in 1954 that he contributed to this book

Die Heiz- und Lüftungsanlagen in den verschiedenen Gebäudearten einschließlich Warmwasserversorgungs-, Befeuchtungs-, Entnebelungs- und Klimaanlagen
Kämper, M. Hottinger, W. von Gonzenbach (auth.), Dr.-Ing. A. Kollmar, Prof. Dr. W. Liese (eds.)
Year: 1954 Language: de

( Heating and ventilation systems in different building types, including hot water supply, humidification, de-misting and air-conditioning systems )

Sorry but if you want to read it in English find a translation for yourself..

I recall ( but maybe wrong ) that he contributed to the Philip's Experimental House project

He also has patents for warm air heating equipment dated in the 1950's.

Bernard, there is to be an exhibition on your self build architect in Germany later this year!

I normally leave set back 17/18.
Did you miss the 10kw woodburner there if we want to use it?
Rads are oversized so come on at 50deg when under floor is on big run at 70deg when in themselves (controlled by TRVs) using the second switch live on the vogue.
It's not 100% perfect but works ok for our needs as we are out all day mon-fri and out most of the day at weekends.

Son and his wife both work. Their system, mix of rads and underfloor, work perfectly on setback etc. Rads and underfloor both Evohome controlled.

While is may seem from cold UF will take a loooong time, yes perhaps to reach optimum temperature, but not long after UF kicks in, there is semplence of heat from the flab

Above is not figment of imagination, it is based on couple of installs I carried out at my son's place

Mine too. It's off most of the day but never quite goes completely cold as the stars also have optimum start etc to curve out the peaks and troughs.
Will be off completely on Saturday for 7 days but set to come back on Sunday morning (which will take an hour or two to get back up to temp) using holiday mode as I'm off to Dubai for 8 days. :D

Yes I spotted the fire, so the flue obvisouly goes up one side of the stricture. So what's the slab thickness to give you a 1 to 2 hour heat up time, as this is where the thread sort of started from.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back