ufh mat - tile direct or self leveling first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installed the under floor heating mat onto Matrox insulation boards in a small bathroom (2.7 square meters) and pondering about the pro/against of using a self leveling compound prior to tiling or tiling directly on top of the mat with suitable adhesive.

This is what I've found out so far:

PRO Self Leveling compound:
1) the smooth surface helps using notched trowels so tiling should be easier
2) acts as a protective barrier while tiling - eg. one can walk on it while while extra care would be needed when walking directly onto the ufh mat (in fact it should be avoided altogether).
3) it should help on the long term - e.g. if a tile need to be replaced, the extra layer of SLC should provide an horizontal key for the chisel and the cable are better protected.
4) air pockets are less of an issue with SLC as is more penetrating than adhesive - so the cable are more efficient.
5) easier to rectify tiling mistakes on the spot (while tiling) - if I discover that a tile isn't level later on it can be removed without damaging the cables....

Against SLC:
1) the extra layer of SLC mean a thicker layer of mass between the heating cable and the tile(at least 5mm for SLC and 3mm for adhesive = 8mm) - this way the heat has to travel more to reach the tile so it would take longer....I guess without SLC it is possible to lay 5mm thick adhesive (the heating cable are 3mm thick).
2) extra building costs - - fortunately the area in question is relatively small (2.7 square metres) so only 1 bag of SLC is required (£15 extra).
3) extra work - there is an extra stage to be added (though this might be compensate by the fact that tiling is easier when SLC is used).

Right now, I'm thinking of using SLC - point 4 and 3 of the PRO section above are very relevant in the long term...beside, this is my first UFH and tiling project so it's maybe better to try the safest way.

any comments/suggestion is greatly appreciated (but I think I've made up my mind already).

Sponsored Links
use self leveling
you said about the extra cost
one bag of suitable self leveling is a lot cheaper than using tile adhesive to fill up the space between the wires.

mix your leveling compound and apply it with a plastering trowel so it only just covers the cables. then tile as normal. if your leveling is good then you will only need a small bed of tile adhesive. make sure you use flexible adhesive and grout and a leveling compound suitable for underfloor heating

use self leveling
you said about the extra cost
one bag of suitable self leveling is a lot cheaper than using tile adhesive to fill up the space between the wires.

mix your leveling compound and apply it with a plastering trowel so it only just covers the cables. then tile as normal. if your leveling is good then you will only need a small bed of tile adhesive. make sure you use flexible adhesive and grout and a leveling compound suitable for underfloor heating

Thanks for your suggestions...
About costs....one bag of SLC cost me about £15 and it's about the same cost of the Adhesive (both flexible)....I've already used one bag of SLC to level the concrete screed and one bag of adhesive for the Matrox insulating boards - now other 2 bags are required (one of SLC and one for tiling - maybe a bit less of the latter)....in the end I've spent more for this stuff that the actual tiles.
I was tempted to keep the thickness minimal (and tile directly on top of the mat) but I'm not that experienced to take a gamble (maybe next time).

Sponsored Links
I'm so glad I've laid SLC before tiling because I believe it saved me lots and lots of hard work....
Tiling seems easy when we watch videos made by skilled people - but it isn't...getting the right amount of adhesive for example isn't that straightforward - then you'll find your hands dirty with the stuff which doesn't help in getting the tiles level and properly positioned....
I had to remove a few tiles and I wouldn't fancy doing that directly on top of the UFH mat....phew!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back